BS in Biotechnology
BS in Biotechnology
Biotechnology is the use of biological processes, organisms, or systems to manufacture products intended to improve the quality of human life. Biotechnology is of significant importance in a number of industries, from agriculture to medicine.
Students can choose to specialize in cell and molecular biotechnology or medical biotechnology.
The Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology Program, with separate concentrations in Cell and Molecular Biotechnology and Medical Biotechnology, aims to produce skilled and knowledgeable Biotechnologists who are capable of applying their acquired knowledge to scientific research and development in medicine, science, agriculture and the environment for the benefit of their societies, while maintaining the highest standards of professional ethics in their careers.
The Goals of the Biotechnology Program are to:
- Supply society with biologically literate citizens who are capable of advising and of responsible decision making.
- Produce ambitious, creative graduates who are interested in continuing their education in the biosciences.
- Practice scientific inquiry and appreciate its role in the development of research, science, technology and society.
- Produce responsible biotechnology professionals to fulfill the employment and research needs in the biotechnology industry in the UAE and the region.
- Contribute to advancement of agriculture, medicine, and environmental sciences through the application of biotechnology theory and recombinant DNA technology.
- Enhance the students’ ability to integrate their acquired math, computer, and biosciences’ knowledge and skills to investigate and solve biological problems.
Program Learning Outcomes
AURAK Biotechnology graduates will demonstrate:
- An understanding of the factual and theoretical basis of Biotechnology at the molecular, cellular, and organism levels.
- Comprehension of and appreciation for the role of Biotechnology in explaining the unity, similarity and diversity of life components with demonstrable understanding of the life hierarchical organizations and their characteristics.
- Knowledge of the basic laboratory tools and Biotechnology-related techniques to be able to function successfully within the Biotechnology employment sector in areas such as hospital, environmental and forensics laboratories and the pharmaceutical industry.
- Basic experience with computers and electronic communications in order to utilize the new computer-assisted technologies for learning and applying biotechnology knowledge.
- The ability to share Biotechnology knowledge effectively by using a variety of skills and resources. e.g., to use library and electronic resources to access, evaluate, organize and communicate applied biological information clearly in written and oral form.
- An understanding of the scientific method; an ability to cite scientific problems and approach them analytically through the application of appropriate experimental design, technology, and statistical methods.
- The ability to interact with the larger community in discussions of the socioeconomic implications of Biotechnology industry and to promote responsible public decisions.
- The ability to pursue further education as an independent life-long learner; the ability to prepare for a variety of satisfying career options such as Biotechnologist, laboratory technician, research assistant, scientific researcher and for entrance into graduate programs and professional schools.
- An understanding and appreciation of the significance and societal implications of biotechnology applied to medicine, agriculture and the environment.
- The ability to use some of the current computer tools, such as programs, software, and databases for researching, analyzing and resolving biological problems mainly in genomics and proteomics.
Jobs directly related to your degree include:
- Biomedical scientist
- Clinical research associate
- Food technologist
- Research scientist
- Scientific laboratory technician
- Technical brewer
Jobs where your degree would be useful include:
- Forensic scientist
- Science writer
- Water quality scientist
BS in Biotechnology
Biotechnology is the use of biological processes, organisms, or systems to manufacture products intended to improve the quality of human life. Biotechnology is of significant importance in a number of...
BA in Mass Communication
Mass communication is a process in which a person, group of people, or an organization sends a message through a channel of communication to a large group…