Master of Science in Sustainable and Renewable Energy
The Master of Science in Sustainable and Renewable Energy program is designed to provide the students with balanced coverage of advanced renewable energy technologies. Students will be exposed to the status of energy resources, their interaction with the environment, different renewable energy sources technologies, different techniques and technologies for energy management and energy conservation along with the economic aspects of renewable energy based power generation. The curriculum developed for this Master’s brings together the necessary tools to learn how to identify energy needs and propose the application of techniques for the saving and efficient use of energy as well as integrate the knowledge acquired in the field of sustainability and energy efficiency. The curriculum consists of 36 credit hours composed of six core courses, three elective courses and nine credits for the master thesis. The program can be completed in as little as two years. The program also targets full-time working students.
- Bachelor of Architecture
- BS in Artificial Intelligence
- BS in Chemical Engineering
- BS in Civil & Infrastructure Engineering
- BS in Computer Engineering
- BS in Computer Science
- BS in Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- BS in Electrical Engineering
- BS in Electronics & Communications Engineering
- BS in Industrial Engineering
- BA in Interior Design
- BS in Mechanical Engineering
- BS in Petroleum Engineering
- Master of Science in Engineering Project Management
- Master in Infrastructure Engineering
- Master of Science in Sustainable and Renewable Energy
The mission of the Master of Science in Sustainable and Renewable Energy program at the American University of Ras Al Khaimah (AURAK) is to provide a high-quality education for United Arab Emirates students in the key aspects of Renewable and Sustainable Energy. Thus, it will enable the students to take responsible, creative, challenging and stimulating posts in research and industry in this exciting field.
The Master of Science in Sustainable and Renewable Energy program is designed to close the strategic gap between the technical aspects of renewable energy and the policy drivers for sustainable development. The program aims also to address the social, economic and environmental issues involved with renewable energy systems. In this way, students will not only learn about technical and operational details, but also about the policy context, market mechanisms, and business models for renewable energy technologies and installations.
After completing the requirements for the degree, students will be in an excellent position to start or continue a career in renewable and sustainable energy technologies. Students will be trained to design, model, manage and control complex projects and prepared to play leadership roles in industry and government.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
The Program goals describe the expected accomplishments of graduates during their first few years after graduation. The program goals have been derived from and support the mission statement of the American University of Ras Al Khaimah. On successful completion of the Master of Science in Sustainable and Renewable Energy, a graduate should have:
- Acquired skills and competency in using renewable energy solutions in place of fossil fuel energy sources.
- Acquired a comprehensive understanding of renewable and sustainable energy systems.
- Teamwork skills in multidisciplinary projects and the identification of problems and proposal of solutions, including rigorous analysis and design of a process, component or system.
- Appreciation of the ethical and societal responsibilities entailed in the environmental engineering profession and the need for continuous education in the field and commitment to life-long learning.
Program Learning Outcomes
The outcomes of the Master of Science in Sustainable and Renewable Energy program have developed the Student Outcomes (SOs) that resulted from an extensive outreach effort and analysis. The outcomes are based on program educational objectives and are in line with level 9 descriptors of the QF Emirates. Students who successfully complete this program will develop:
- an ability to acquire and apply knowledge in the field of renewable and sustainable energy systems, their components and interactions between the components;
- an ability to identify and critically evaluate current developments and emerging trends within the renewable energy sector;
- an ability to contextualize renewable technology projects within a local, national and international framework, and consider social, ethical and environmental impacts and consequences;
- an ability to analyze, formulate, and handle technical problems from a system perspective, with an overview on their life-cycle, from idea/need to specification, development, maintenance and termination, and the ability to set conditions, decide necessary resource consumption and manage procedures to solve and realize problems;
- an ability to communicate effectively with peers, other engineering experts and the community using a variety of media and instruments of communication;
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts;
- an ability to work effectively and proactively within cross-cultural, multi-disciplinary teams, to accomplish high-level engineering results.
Enrollment and Graduation Data
|NUMBER OF ENROLLED STUDENTS|
|Fall 2022 (Census: September)||12|
|Spring 2022 (Census: February)||9|
|Fall 2021 (Census: September)||4|
Jobs directly related to your degree include:
- Database administrator
- Solar Photovoltaic
- Energy Efficiency
- Energy Management
- Wind Energy
- Solar Heating/Cooling
- Solid Biomass
- Concentrated Solar Power
Jobs where your degree would be useful include:
- Buildings (construction, materials)
- High Efficiency HVAC systems
- Energy Storage
- Renewable Fuels