Dr. Maxime Merheb received a Master’s degree in “Physiology, Molecular and Cellular Biology” from University of Poitiers, Poitiers, France and Ph.D. in Biotechnology from Ecole Normale Supérieure, Lyon, France. Prior to coming to AURAK, Dr. Merheb worked as Assistant Professor in the French National Platform for Ancient and Degraded DNA (PALGENE) and in the Institute of Functional Genomics of Lyon (IGFL), in Lyon, France. Since January 2012 Dr. Merheb has joined the department of biotechnology in AURAK, he was directly involved in the development of the new biotechnology program which was later fully accredited by the CAA. Since March 2015, he was assigned as Program Coordinator in the department of Biotechnology, and In March 2016, he was promoted to Associate Professor. Dr. Merheb is currently teaching several courses and mainly focusing on Genetics, and Bioinformatics.
In France, Dr. Merheb worked on the development of novel molecular methods to identify forensic DNA in processed organic products like canned food, leathers, furs, felts, etc. In this project, Dr. Merheb was involved in transferring of technological know-how of molecular species identification and genetic profiling in processed products to an international company for food safety and quality control called “Silliker” (www.silliker.com) and teaching their Research and Development team. In collaboration with the National Museum of Music in Paris, Dr. Merheb worked on the restoration of the last conserved copy of Grand Piano made by Sébastien Érard (1802), similar to that used by Beethoven. In this project, his mission was to identify the species origin of the leather and glue used in the piano using ancient DNA profiling techniques. Later, he worked on the development of novel biophysical methods to detect DNA without enzymatic amplification. Currently, Dr. Merheb is leading three research projects related to genetic profiling of mangroves’ microorganisms with potential for biofuel production. Two of those projects are funded by AURAK and the third is funded by The Sheikh Saud bin Saqr Al Qasimi Foundation for Policy Research.
- Matar R, Merheb M. (2016) Paleogeneticist view of leather: The role of mitochondrial DNA to uncover the mysteries of fake leather and its products. Biosci. Biotech. Res. Comm. 9(1): 6-14 (2016)
- Matar R, Merheb M. (2016) Cytosine deamination rates analysis to determine species origin in ancient mixed and processed Animal tissues. Research Journal of BioTechnology, 11 (4), 75-79
- Merheb M, Vaedlich S, Maniguet T and Hänni C. (2016) Mitochondrial DNA, Restoring Beethovens Music. Journal of Mitochondrial DNA, 27 (1), 355-359
- Merheb M, Vaedlich S, Maniguet T and Hänni C. (2015) DNA for Species Identification in Leather: Frauds detection and endangered species protection. Research Journal of BioTechnology, 10 (9), 65-68.
- Soleimani M, Merheb M, Matar M. (2015) Human Gene Therapy: The future healthcare. Hamdan Medical Journal, 8 (1)
- Merheb M, Feuillie C, Gillet B, Montagnac G, Daniel I and Hänni C. (2014).Detection of DNA Sequences Refractory to PCR Amplification Using a Biophysical SERRS Assay (Surface Enhanced Resonant Raman Spectroscopy). PloS ONE 9 (12)
- Merheb M, Soleimani M, Matar M. (2014) Raman Spectroscopy: a promising technique for analyzing nucleic acid refractory to PCR amplification. The Open Spectroscopy Journal, 8, 9-16
- Merheb M. (2014) Molecular Species Identification in Processed Animal Hides for Biodiversity Protection. International Journal of Advances in Chemical Engineering & Biological Sciences, 1 (1), 55-57
- Merheb M, Feuillie C, Gillet B, Montagnac G, Daniel I and Hänni C. (2012) Enzyme-free detection and quantification of double-stranded nucleic acids. Analytical Bioanalytical Chemistry. 404 (2):415-422.
- Merheb M, Feuillie C, Gillet B, Montagnac G, Daniel I and Hänni C. (2011) A novel SERRS sandwich-hybridization assay to detect specific DNA target. PLoS ONE 6(5)
Selected Proceedings and Presentations:
- Merheb M, Matar R (2016) Enzymatic Repair Prior To DNA Barcoding, Aspirations, and Restraints. International Journal of Biotechnology and Bioengineering 3 (5).
- Matar R, Merheb M. (2016) The Use of Medical Biotechnology to Treat Genetic Disease. International Journal of Biotechnology and Bioengineering 3 (5)
- Merheb M (2016) Biofuel Exploration from Soil Microorganisms in Ras Al Khaimah Mangroves, Faculty Research Colloquium. AURAK, March 22, 2016
- Merheb M (2016) A Fruit Of Arts And Sciences Imagination, Music Resurrected Through Ancient DNA. Imagination, First AURAK Department of Humanities and Social Sciences Conference 23/24 February 2016
- Merheb M (2014). Molecular Species Identification in Processed Animal Hides for Biodiversity Protection. IICBEE, 2ndInternational Conference on Biological, Chemical and Environmental Sciences, Istanbul 2014.
- Feuillie C, Merheb M, Gillet B, Montagnac G, Daniel I and Hänni C (2011). Specific DNA detection by SERRS: toward older biosignatures.Origins 2011, ISSOL and Bioastronomy Joint International Conference, July 3rd to July 8, 2011, Montpellier, France
- Feuillie C, Merheb M, Gillet B, Montagnac G, Daniel I and Hänni C (2011). Adsorption of DNA on Fe-Mg rich phyllosilicates characteristics of early oceanic environments. Origins 2011, ISSOL and Bioastronomy Joint International Conference, July 3rd to July 8, 2011, Montpellier, France