In the fall of 2013, Dr. Mohammed Awad joined the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the School of Engineering in the American University of Ras Al Khaimah in Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates. Immediately prior, he worked as an assistant professor at the Computer Science Department of Al-Ahliyya Amman University in Amman, Jordan where he had the opportunity to focus on teaching and learning and was ranked number one professor by the students of the school of Information Technology.
Dr. Awad earned his PhD in Computer Science from the University of Houston in the United States in 2011. He earned a MSc in Computer Science at the same university in 2006. He completed a BSc in Computer Science at Yarmouk University in Jordan in 2003. During his graduate studies at the University of Houston, Dr. Awad worked as a teaching assistant for various courses from the freshman to graduate levels and had the opportunity to develop his skills as an educator.
Dr. Awad’s research interests include security, more specifically in E-voting and I-voting security. Currently, he is collaborating on a National Science Foundation (NSF) grant to develop a curriculum module to illustrate electronic voting for non-Computer Science majors. An additional area of interest concerns safeguarding the transmission of biometric data and integrating captured biometric data (iris scans or any other biometric data) into the electoral process in order to achieve more reliable systems.
- Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Houston, Houston, TX, USA, 2011.
- M.Sc., Computer Science, University of Houston, Houston, TX, USA, 2006.
- B.Sc., Computer Science, Yarmouk University, Jordan, 2003.
Data Security, Electronic Voting, Internet Voting, and Capturing and Transmitting Biometric Data
List of Publications
- P. Lee, M. Awad, and E.L. Leiss, “A Practical, Almost Zero-knowledge Watermark Verification Algorithm,” International Journal of Engineering and Technology, Volume 8, Issue 1, 1 February 2016, Pages 9-16.
- M. Abu Safiya and M. Awad, “Morphological analysis of Arabic words using parsing,” International Journal of Engineering and Technology, Volume 8, Issue 1, February 2016, pp. 452-453.
- M. Awad and E.L. Leiss, “End-to-End Cryptography: Spreading Democracy,” International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, Volume 11, Number 11, 2016, pp. 7391-7394.
- M. Awad and E.L. Leiss, “The Evolution of Voting: Analysis of Conventional and Electronic Voting Systems,” International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, Volume 11, Number 12, 2016, pp. 7888-7896.
- M. Awad and E. L. Leiss, “End-to-End Cryptography: Potentials and Limitations,” The 8th International Conference for Internet Technology and Secured Transactions (ICITST-2013), IEEE Xplore Digital Library, IEEE Catalog No: CFP13811-ART, ISBN: 978-1-908320-20-9, London, Dec. 2013, pp. 113-118.
- M. Awad, F. Qazbak, A. Kettaneh, M. Al-Haddad “Academic Instant Messaging Engine (AIME): Using Technology to Facilitate Students’ Interaction,” The 2013 International Conference on Current Trends in Information Technology (CTITDubai 2013), IEEE Xplore Digital Library, IEEE Catalog No: CFP1304J-ART 978-1-4799-2425-7, ISBN: 978-1-4799-2425-7, Dubai, Dec. 2013, pp. 18-22.
- M. Awad and E.L. Leiss, “Cryptography and Democracy: Providing Assurance to Voters,” Central and East European E|GOV Days 2014, eGovernment: Driver or Stumbling Block for European Integration, ISBN: 978-3-85403-300-4, Budapest, May 2014, pp. 197-206. Best Paper Award.
- A. Odeh, A. Abu-Errub, M. Awad, “Symmetric Key Generation Method using Digital Image,” IJCSI International Journal of Computer Science Issues, Volume 12, Issue 2, March 2015 ISSN (Print): 1694-0814 | ISSN (Online): 1694-0784, pp. 254-259.
- M. Awad and E. L. Leiss, “Paper Records and Electronic Audits: A Step Towards Regaining Voter Trust,” in EDEM 2009 – Conference on Electronic Democracy 2009, Vienna, 2009, pp. 273-283. Also in: eJournal of eDemocracy and Open Government (JeDEM), Vol. 2, No. 1, 2010, pp. 69-78.
- M. Awad and E. L. Leiss, “No Ballot Left Behind: Using Biometric Verification to Facilitate Voter Authentication,” in The International Legal Informatics Symposium (IRIS), Salzburg, 2010, pp. 77-84.
- M. Awad and E. L. Leiss, “Internet voting in the US: analysis and commentary,” Transforming Government: People, Process and Policy, Vol. 5 No. 1, 2011, pp. 45 – 55.
- M. Awad and E. L. Leiss, “Using Biometric Identification to Safeguard the Electoral Process,” in Intellectbase International Consortium (IIC), Las Vegas, 2010.
- M. Awad and E. L. Leiss, “Using Biometric Identification to Safeguard the Electoral Process,” Journal of Information Systems Technology and Planning (JISTP), Vol. 4, Issue 7, 2011. Expanded version of .
- M. Awad, Z. Al-Qudah, S. Idwan, A. Jallad, “Password security: Password behavior analysis at a small university,” 5th International Conference on Electronic Devices, Systems and Applications (ICEDSA), December 6-8, 2016.