Dr. Arthur received his MSc and PhD from the University of Calgary, in Alberta, Canada. The focus of his Masters’ thesis was using GIS (Geographic Information Systems) as a decision support system for the placement of photo-radar cameras. His dissertation delved deeper into the phenomenon of speeding, especially the temporal dimension. He has continued to contribute to the area of traffic safety research and engaged in several studies at the city of Al Ain while teaching at UAEU. Recently he has submitted another article on the subject exploring the social aspects of speeding and their influences upon individual drivers. While at the American University of Ras Al Khaimah he has embarked on a new area of research, using LiDAR data to model the effects of Sea Level Rise on the RAK coastline. One article on the subject has already been submitted with the findings from that article to be presented at a conference in Al Ain, at UAEU in December 2015. This work is on-going with a new article underway and a presentation based on that research to be made at a conference in Paris, September 2015. Dr. Arthur has taught at Universities in Canada, the US, Fiji and the UAE.
- Arthur, Robert M and Garland, G. Gerry “GIS Modeling of Sea-Level Rise in Ras Al Khaimah, UAE: Al Hamra Development, a Pilot Project.” submitted to Miscelannia Geographica April 2015.
- Arthur, Robert M. “Driving Under the Influence….of Social Factors” submitted to Miscellania Geographica April 2015, revised June 2015, awaiting final decision.
- Arthur, Robert M. (2015) The Liwa Oasis: An Overview. Special Edition of Asia and Pacific Studies(in press)
- Arthur, Robert (2011) “Examining Traffic Flow and Speed Data: Determining Imitative Behavior”, Traffic Injury Prevention, Volume 12, Issue 3, June 2011, pages 266-273
- Arthur, Robert M. And Al Qaydi, Saif S. (2010) “Agricultural Marketing in the Western Region of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates: Attitudes and Perceptions” Agricultural and Biological Journal of North America Vol. 1, Issue 4, July 2010
- Arthur, Robert M. (2009) “Using social theory and GIS to create a safer road environment” Transportation Planning and Technology. (2009) August Vol 32. No 4, pages 355-375.
- Al Qaydi, Saif and Arthur, Robert M. (2008) ” Evaluating the Farming Activities in the Western Region of the United Arab Emirates” Asia and Pacific Studies, 5, pages 73-88.
- Arthur, R. and N. Waters (1997) Formal Scientific Research of Traffic Collision Data Utilizing GIS Transportation Planning and Technology. 1997, 21(v2) 121-137.
- Rothe, J. Peter (ed.) (2002) Driving Lessons: Exploring Systems That Make Traffic Safer. R.M. Arthur GIS Modeling of Hazardous Locations. University of Alberta Press; Edmonton, Alberta.
- Distance and Flexible Learning Course, GE 102, Introduction to Human Geography. 2004. The University of the South Pacific, Fiji.
- Power Point Slide Presentation to accompany World Regions in Global Context: People, Places, and Environments 2nd. Ed. Sallie A. Marston, Paul L. Knox, and Diana M. Liverman, 2004 Prentice Hall: New Jersey.
- Instructor’s Manual to accompany Human Geography 4th. Ed. William Norton, 2001, Oxford Publishing.