Dr. Saad Balhasan is an Assistant Professor of petroleum engineering at the American University of Ras Al Khaimah (AURAK). He holds a BS in Petroleum Engineering from Bright Star University of Technology, Libya, MS in Reservoir Geoscience and Engineering from IFP School, France, MS in Petroleum Economics and Management from IFP School, France, ME in Petroleum Engineering from Colorado School of Mines, and PhD, in Petroleum Engineering from the University of Wyoming, USA. His main areas of research interest are reservoir engineering, heavy oil, CO2-EOR, reservoir management and economic evaluation, and design and Evaluation of Oil Contracts.
Dr. Saad served as a chair of the faculty union at Bright Star University of Technology, Libya, (1997-2000). He served as the head of Department of Chemical Engineering at Sirt University, Libya, (2003-2006). Moreover, he has been involved in development of the Petroleum Engineering Program, establishment of advanced labs in the area of reservoir engineering and drilling engineering.
Prior to joining the AURAK, Dr. Saad had worked three years at the Australian College of Kuwait (ACK). In this three years period, Dr. Saad has served as an Academic Coordinator, faculty advisor of the SPE chapter, and head of the Petroleum Engineering Department. Dr. Saad has received the ACK Award of outstanding performance for the academic year (2014-2015). Moreover, he built a strong record of collaboration with oil and gas industry in Kuwait. He has delivered short term courses in petroleum economics, subsurface assessment and forecasting for oil fields, and casing design. Dr. Saad is a member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE), Society of Petroleum Resources Economists (SPRE), Libyan Association of professional Engineering, Libyan Society of Earth Science, and the Environment Friends Association, Libya.
- PhD in Petroleum Engineering, University of Wyoming, USA 2013
- MEng in Petroleum Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, USA 2010
- MSc in Petroleum Economics and Management., Instituit Francias du Petrole, France (IFP) 2003
- MSc in Reservoir Geosciences and Engineering, Instituit Francias du Petrole, France (IFP) 2001
- BSc in Petroleum Engineering, Bright Star University of Technology, Brega, Libya 1992
- Reservoir Engineering: reserve evaluation, uncertainty analysis, reservoir performance analysis, field design and development.
- Secondary and Enhanced Oil Recovery: Water flooding design, and design and evaluation of CO2 injection.
- Multidisciplinary research, economics and property evaluation.
- Oil Agreements: design and evaluation Exploration and Production Sharing Agreements, Tax and Royalty, Joint Venture, and Services Agreements.
- Saad A. Balhasan, Biltayib M. Biltayib, Mohamed A. Omar, Effects of Directional Permeability Anisotropy on Sweep Efficiency for Five-Spot and Nine- Spot Pattern Flood, Journal of Petroleum & Environmental Biotechnology,. ISSN: 2157-7463. Vol. 6, Issue 6, July 2015.
- Biltayib M. Biltayib, Saad A. Balhasan., Mohamed A.Omar., Ultra mud system Optimizes Drilling Efficiency in Sirte basin (Libya). Asian Journal of Engineering and Technology. ISSN: 2321 – 2462, April 2015.
- Biltayib M. Biltayib, Saad A.Balhasan., Mohamed A.Omar, Example of Improve drilling operational efficiency and reducing well costs in the Sirte basin – Libya., IRACST – Engineering Science and Technology: An International Journal (ESTIJ), ISSN: 2250-3498.Vol.5, No.1, February 2015.
- Saad A. Balhasan, Brian F. Towler, and Jennifer L. Miskimins, Modifying the Libyan Fiscal Regime to Optimize its Oil Reserves and Attract More Foreign Capital Part 2: Application to CO2-EOR Project in Libya, OPEC energy journal, Volume 37, Issue 3, pages 270 – 313, September 2013.
- Saad A. Balhasan, Brian F. Towler, and Jennifer L. Miskimins, Modifying the Libyan Fiscal Regime to Optimize its Oil Reserves and Attract More Foreign Capital Part 1: LEPSA I Proposal, OPEC energy journal, Volume 37, Issue 2, Pages 220 – 246, June 2013.
- Almossawy, M., Saad A. Balhasan Al-Jazwe, Determination of Oil in Place Using a Simple Empirical Equation. The Ninth Annual Mediterranean Petroleum Conference (MPC), Tripoli, Libya, February 2006.