Dr. Saad Balhasan is an Assistant Professor of Petroleum Engineering at the American University of Ras Al Khaimah (AURAK). He holds a BS in Petroleum Engineering from Bright Star University of Technology, Libya; MS in Reservoir Geoscience and Engineering from IFP School, France; MS in Petroleum Economics and Management from IFP School, France; ME in Petroleum Engineering from the Colorado School of Mines; and a PhD in Petroleum Engineering from the University of Wyoming, USA. His main areas of research interest are reservoir engineering, heavy oil, CO2-EOR, reservoir management and economic evaluation, and design and evaluation of oil contracts.
Dr. Saad served as the chair of the faculty union at Bright Star University of Technology, Libya, (1997–2000). He served as the head of the Department of Chemical Engineering at Sirt University, Libya, from 2003–2006. Moreover, he has been involved in the development of the Petroleum Engineering Program and the establishment of advanced labs in the areas of reservoir engineering and drilling engineering.
Prior to joining AURAK, Dr. Saad had worked for three years at the Australian College of Kuwait (ACK). In this three-year period, Dr. Saad has served as an Academic Coordinator, faculty advisor of the SPE chapter, and head of the Petroleum Engineering Department. Dr. Saad has received the ACK Award for outstanding performance for the academic year 2014–2015. Moreover, he built a strong record of collaboration with the oil and gas industry in Kuwait. He has delivered short-term courses in petroleum economics, subsurface assessment and forecasting for oil fields, and casing design. Dr. Saad is a member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE), Society of Petroleum Resources Economists (SPRE), Libyan Association of Professional Engineering, Libyan Society of Earth Science, and the Environment Friends Association, Libya.
- PhD in Petroleum Engineering, University of Wyoming, USA 2013
- MEng in Petroleum Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, USA 2010
- MSc in Petroleum Economics and Management., Instituit Francias du Petrole, France (IFP) 2003
- MSc in Reservoir Geosciences and Engineering, Instituit Francias du Petrole, France (IFP) 2001
- BSc in Petroleum Engineering, Bright Star University of Technology, Brega, Libya 1992
- Reservoir Engineering: reserve evaluation, uncertainty analysis, reservoir performance analysis, field design and development.
- Secondary and Enhanced Oil Recovery: Water flooding design, and design and evaluation of CO2 injection.
- Multidisciplinary research, economics and property evaluation.
- Oil Agreements: design and evaluation Exploration and Production Sharing Agreements, Tax and Royalty, Joint Venture, and Services Agreements.
- Saad Balhasan, Biltayib M. Biltayib, Mahmoud Elsharafi, Mohamed Omar, Ibrahim Musbah, Negotiating Natural Resources: A Case Study of Environmental Conflict Resolution, Journal of Positive School Psychology, 2022, Vol. 6, No. 4, 11061–1107
- Hussain Attia, Saad Balhasan, Design of Computerized Monitoring and Processing System For Magnetic Field Controlling Against The Phenomenon of Black Powder in Crude Oil Pipelines, International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering (IJECE), Vol. 10, No. 5, October 2020, pp. 4639 – 4644
- Saad Balhasan, Brian F. Towler, Khaled O. AlHadramy, Biltayib Misbah, Comparative Risk Evaluation and Sensitivity Analysis of the Libyan EPSA IV and Its Modified Model LEPSA I. Petroleum, Volume 6, Issue 2, June 2020, Pages 206-21
- Saad A. Balhasan, Daniel A. Michael, Case Study on Determining the Critical Production Rate for Bottom Water Coning in the Majed (EE-Pool) Reservoir, Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 15(4): 925 – 931, April 2020
- Saad Balhasan, Biltayib M. Biltayib, Risk Evaluation and Sensitivity Analysis of the Exploration and Production Sharing Agreement, SPE-197442-MS, SPE Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition & Conference, ADIPEC, Abu Dhabi, 11-14 November 2019.
- Saad Balhasan, Mohamed Omar, Hassan Alhamoudi, Abdulrahman Alzaabi, Salma Abdelwahab, Black Powder Removal from Oil Pipelines, SPE-198105-MS, SPE Kuwait Oil & Gas Show and Conference, Kuwait City, Kuwait, 15-18 October 2019
- Somaya RahmatAllah, Saad Balhasan, Khaled Hossin, Fatema Al Ali, A Review of Water Shutoff Treatment Methods in Oil Fields, Presented at The International Conference on Energy, Water & Environmental Sciences (ICEWES 2018), Ras Al Khaimah-UAE, November 13-15, 2018
- Saad Balhasan, Biltayib Misbah, Mohamed Omar, Ibrahim Musbah, Belkasim Khameiss, Impact of Proposal Changes to Libyan Oil Taxation System on Developing the 137 B Offshore Field, Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences (15): 6085-6090, Sep. 2018
- Biltayib Misbah Biltayib, Masoud Rashidi, Saad Balhasan, and Reem Alothman “Experimental Analysis on Rheological and Fluid Loss Control of Water-Based Mud Using New Additives”, Journal of Petroleum and Gas Engineering. Vol. 9(3), pp. 23-31, July 2018
- Saad Balhasan, Bader Al Kandari, Mohamed Omar, Jassim Al-Otaibi, Hamad Al-Shakhis, Ali Al Amer, ” Development of an Empirical Equation to Predict the Performance of CO2-WAG Flooding”, Presented at the SPE Kuwait Oil & Gas Show and Conference held in Kuwait City, Kuwait, 15-18 October 2017.
- Saad Balhasan, Mohammad Jumaa, Ahmed Elbagir, Development of a Correlation to Predict Water-Flooding Performance of Sandstone Reservoirs Based on Reservoir Fluid Properties, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research (IJAER), Vol. 12, No 10, pp 2586-2597, June 2017
- Saad A. Balhasan, Developing a Mathematical Model for Improving the Exploration and Production Sharing Agreement, Mathematics and Natural Sciences Conference, American University of Ras Al Khaimah, April 29th-30th, May 2017
- Saad A. Balhasan, Biltayib M. Biltayib, Mohamed A. Omar, Effects of Directional Permeability Anisotropy on Sweep Efficiency for Five-Spot and Nine- Spot Pattern Flood, Journal of Petroleum & Environmental Biotechnology, Vol. 6, Issue 5, July 2015.
- Biltayib M. Biltayib, Saad A.Balhasan., Mohamed A.Omar., Example of Improve drilling operational efficiency and reducing well costs in the Sirte basin Libya., IRACST – Engineering Science and Technology: An International Journal (ESTIJ), ISSN: Vol.5, No.1, pp 2250-3498, February 2015
- Mohamed A.Omar, M.Biltayib, Saad A.Balhasan,. “History Matching and Prediction for En-Naga Field development plan using infill drilling program [SPE-Egypt, 2015].
- Biltayib M. Biltayib, Saad A. Balhasan., Mohamed A.Omar., Ultra mud system Optimizes Drilling Efficiency in Sirte basin, Asian Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 3, Issue 2, pp 2321-2462, April 2015
- Biltayib Misbah, Saad A.Balhasan., Mohamed A.Omar., Australian College of Kuwait (ACK); Khulud.Rahuma, Al-Fateh University,(2015); Effect of Salinity on Polymers Performance: fifith environmental conference , Damiet university, Egypt, 2015
- Saad A. Balhasan, Brian F. Towler, and Jennifer L. Miskimins, Modifying the Libyan Fiscal Regime to Optimize its Oil Reserves and Attract More Foreign Capital Part 2: Application to CO2-EOR Project in Libya, OPEC energy journal, Volume 37, Issue 3, pages 270 – 313, September 2013.
- Saad A. Balhasan, Brian F. Towler, and Jennifer L. Miskimins, Modifying the Libyan Fiscal Regime to Optimize its Oil Reserves and Attract More Foreign Capital Part 1: LEPSA I Proposal, OPEC energy journal, Volume 37, Issue 2, Pages 220 – 246, June 2013.
- Almossawy, M., Saad A. Balhasan Al-Jazwe, 2006: Determination of Oil in Place Using a Simple Empirical Equation. The Ninth Annual Mediterranean Petroleum Conference (MPC), Tripoli, Libya.