Dr. Shagufta joined the American University of Ras Al Khaimah as an Assistant Professor of Chemistry in the School of Arts and Sciences in August 2014. Prior to joining AURAK, Dr. Shagufta worked as an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Chemistry at the University of Modern Sciences, Dubai and American University of Ras Al Khaimah, UAE.
Dr. Shagufta also worked as a Postdoctoral Researcher Associate at the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Oklahoma University, USA. She developed the noble drug delivery system for breast cancer drugs using carbon nanotubes and acquired the significant experience in nanotechnology and synthetic organic chemistry. She was appointed as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow and Visiting Scientist at Leiden/Amsterdam Centre for Drug Research (LACDR), Leiden, The Netherlands. Her research interest was In silico prediction and clinical evaluation of the cardiotoxicity of drug candidates. She was focused to identify chemical substructures as ‘chemical alerts’ that interact with this hERG channel. Dr. Shagufta received a Ph.D. under the prestigious CSIR-JRF and SRF research fellowship in Chemistry from Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI)/Lucknow University, India in 2008, her PhD research work was in the field of estrogens and antiestrogens, design and synthesis of steroidal and non-steroidal tissue selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMs) for breast cancer, 3D-QSAR CoMFA and CoMSIA studies and analysis of pharmaceutical important molecules.
Dr. Shagufta has published 20 articles in peer-reviewed International journals of Royal Society of Chemistry, Elsevier, Wiley and Springer. Dr. Shagufta teaches courses such as General chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Chemistry in Everyday Life, and Spectroscopy along with laboratory courses.
Research Interest-Dr. Shagufta
Organic Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry focused on Breast Cancer and Osteoporosis, Heterogeneous catalysis and Nanotechnology.
Publications- Dr. Shagufta
- Irshad Ahmad and Shagufta. 2015. Recent developments in steroidal and nonsteroidal aromatase inhibitors for the chemoprevention of estrogen-dependent breast cancer. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 102, 375-386.
- Irshad Ahmad and Shagufta. 2015. Sulfones: An important class of organic compounds with diverse biological activities. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 7 (3), 19-27.
- Priyanka Singh, Subal Kumar Dinda, Shagufta, Gautam Panda. 2013. Synthetic approach towards trisubstituted methanes and a chiral tertiary α-hydroxyaldehyde, possible intermediate for tetrasubstituted methanes. RSC Adv. (Royal Society of Chemistry) 3, 12100-12103. [ISSN: 2046-2069]
- Donna J. Nelson, Shagufta, Ravi Kumar. 2012. Characterization of a tamoxifen-tethered single-walled carbon nanotube conjugate by using NMR spectroscopy. Anal. Bioanal. Chem. [Springer] 404:771–776. [ISSN: 1618-2642]
- Donna J. Nelson, Ravi Kumar, Shagufta. 2012. Regiochemical reversals in nitrosobenzene reactions with carbonyl compounds – α-aminooxy ketone versus α-hydroxyamino ketone products. Eur. J. Org. Chem. (Wiley-VCH) 6013-6020. [ISSN: 1099-0690]
- Munikumar R. Reddy, Elisabeth Klaasse, Shagufta, Adriaan P. IJzerman, Andreas Bender. 2010. Validation of an in silico hERG model and its applications to the virtual screening of commercial compound databases. Chem. Med. Chem. (Wiley-VCH)5: 716-729. [ISSN: 1860-7187]
- Shagufta, Dong Guo, Elisabeth Klaasse, Henk de Vries, Johannes Brussee, Lukas Nalos, Martin B Rook, Marc A Vos, Marcel AG van der Heyden and Adriaan P. IJzerman. 2009. Exploring the chemical substructures essential for hERG K+ channel blockade by synthesis and biological evaluation of dofetilide analogues. Chem. Med. Chem. (Wiley-VCH) 4:1722-1732. [ISSN: 1860-7187]
- Shagufta, Ritesh Singh and Gautam Panda. 2009, Synthetic studies towards steroid-amino acid hybrids. Indian Journal of Chemistry. (Indian Science) 48B: 989-995. [ISSN: 0975-0983]
- Maloy K. Parai, Shagufta, Ajay K. Srivastava, Matthias Kassack, Gautam Panda. 2008. An unexpected reaction of phosphorous tribromide on chromanone, thiochromanone, 3,4-dihydro-2H-benzo[b]thiepin-5-one, 3,4-dihydro-2H-benzo[b]oxepin-5-one and tetralone derived allylic alcohols: a case study. Tetrahedron (Elsevier) 64: 9962-9976. [ISSN: 0040-4020]
- Gautam Panda, Maloy Kumar Parai, Sajal Kumar Das, Shagufta, Manish Sinha, Vinita Chaturvedi, Anil K. Srivastava, Anil N. Gaikwad, Sudhir Sinha. 2007. Effect of substituents on diarymethanes for antitubercular activity. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry (Elsevier) 42: 410-419. [ISSN: 0223-5234]
- Shagufta and Gautam Panda. 2007. A new example of a steroid-amino acid hybrid: Construction of constrained nine membered D-ring steroids. Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry (Royal Society of Chemistry) 5 : 360- 366. [ISSN 1477-0539]
- Shagufta, Ashutosh Kumar, Gautam Panda and Mohammad Imran Siddiqi. 2007. CoMFA and CoMSIA 3D-QSAR analysis of diaryloxy methano phenanthrene derivatives as anti- tubercular agents. Journal of Molecular Modeling (Springer) 13: 99-107. [ISSN:0948-5023]
- Shagufta, Ajay Kumar Srivastava, Ramesh Sharma, Rajeev Mishra, Anil K. Balapure, Puvvada S. R. Murthy and Gautam Panda. 2006. Substituted phenanthrenes with basic amino side chains: A new series of anti-breast cancer agents. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry (Elsevier) 14: 1497-1505. [ISSN: 0968-0896]
- Shagufta, Ajay Kumar Srivastava and Gautam Panda. 2006. Isomerization of allylic alcohols into saturated carbonyls using phosphorus tribromide. Tetrahedron Letters (Elsevier) 47: 1065-1070. [ISSN: 0040-4039]
- Gautam Panda, Jitendra K. Mishra, Shagufta, T. C. Dinadayalane and G. Narahari Sastry & Devendra S Negi. 2006. Hard-soft acid-base (HSAB) principle and difference in d-orbital configurations of metals explain the regioselectivity of nucleophilic attack to a carbinol in Friedel-Crafts reaction catalyzed by Lewis and protonic acids. Indian Journal of Chemistry (Indian Science)45B: 276-287. [ISSN: 0975-0983]
- Shagufta, Maloy Kumar Parai and Gautam Panda. 2005. A new strategy for the synthesis of aryl- and heteroaryl-substituted exocyclic olefins from allyl alcohols using PBr3. Terahedron Letters (Elsevier) 46: 8849-8852. [ISSN: 0040-4039]
- Shagufta, Resmi Raghunandan, Prakash R. Maulik and Gautam Panda. 2005. Convenient phosphorus tribromide induced syntheses of substituted 1-arylmethylnaphthalenes from 1-tetralone derivatives. Tetrahedron Letters (Elsevier) 46: 5337-5341. [ISSN: 0040-4039]
- Gautam Panda, Shagufta, Anil K. Srivastava and Sudhir Sinha. 2005. Synthesis and antitubercular activity of 2-hydroxy-aminoalkyl derivatives of diaryloxy methano phenanthrenes. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters (Elsevier) 15: 5222-5225. [ISSN: 0960-894X]
- Sajal Kumar Das, Shagufta, and Gautam Panda. 2005. An easy access to unsymmetric trisubstituted methane derivatives (TRSMs). Tetrahedron Letters (Elsevier) 46: 3097-3102. [ISSN: 0040-4039]
- Shagufta, Jitendra Kumar Mishra, Vinita Chaturvedi, Anil K. Srivastava, Ranjana Srivastava and Brahm S. Srivastava. 2004. Diaryloxy methano phenanthrenes: a new class of antituberculosis agents. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry (Elsevier) 12: 5269-5276. [ISSN: 0968-0896]