Dr. Shagufta has been an Assistant Professor of Chemistry in the Mathematics and Natural Sciences Department since August 2014, teaching courses such as General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Spectroscopy along with laboratory courses. Prior to joining AURAK, Dr. Shagufta worked as an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Chemistry at the American University of Ras Al Khaimah, UAE and University of Modern Sciences, Dubai.
Dr. Shagufta also worked as a Postdoctoral Researcher Associate at the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Oklahoma University, USA. She developed the noble drug delivery system for breast cancer drugs using carbon nanotubes and acquired significant experience in nanotechnology and synthetic organic chemistry. She was appointed as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow and Visiting Scientist at Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (LACDR), Leiden University, The Netherlands. Her research interest was In silico prediction and clinical evaluation of the cardiotoxicity of drug candidates. She was focused to identify chemical substructures as ‘chemical alerts’ that interact with this hERG channel.
Dr. Shagufta received a Ph.D. under the prestigious CSIR-JRF and SRF research fellowship in Chemistry from Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI)/Lucknow University, India in 2008, her PhD research work was in the field of estrogens and antiestrogens, design and synthesis of steroidal and non-steroidal tissue selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMs) for breast cancer, 3D-QSAR CoMFA and CoMSIA studies and analysis of pharmaceutical important molecules. She has two Postdocs: one in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry from Oklahoma University, Norman, USA in 2010, and the second from Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research, Leiden University, The Netherlands in 2007. She earned her MSc, Chemistry, Lucknow University, Lucknow, India in 2000, and a BSc in Chemistry from Lucknow University, Lucknow, India in 1998.
Dr. Shagufta has published 26 articles in peer-reviewed International journals of Royal Society of Chemistry, Elsevier, Wiley and Springer. Her research interests are Organic Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry focused on Breast Cancer and Osteoporosis, Heterogeneous catalysis and Nanotechnology.
- Shagufta*, Irshad Ahmad* 2018. Tamoxifen a pioneering drug: An update on the therapeutic potential of tamoxifen derivatives. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 143: 515-531.
- Irshad Ahmad*, Shagufta* and Abdul Rahman AlMallah. 2017. Advances in Asymmetric Oxidative Kinetic Resolution of Racemic Secondary Alcohols Catalyzed by Chiral Manganese (III) Salen Complexes, Chirality, 2(12): 798-810.
- Shagufta* and Irshad Ahmad*. 2017. An insight into the therapeutic potential of quinazoline derivatives as anticancer agents. MedChemComm, 8: 871-885.
- Shagufta*, Irshad Ahmad, Gautam Panda*. 2017. Quest for steroidomimetics: Amino acids derived steroidal and nonsteroidal architectures, European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 133: 139-151.
- Shagufta*, Irshad Ahmad*, Rahul Dhar. 2017. Sulfonic Acid-Functionalized Solid Acid Catalyst in Esterification and Transesterification Reactions. Catalysis Surveys from Asia, 21(2), 53-69.
- Shagufta* and Irshad Ahmad. 2016. Recent insight into the biological activities of synthetic xanthone derivatives. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 116: 267-280.
- Irshad Ahmad* and Shagufta*. 2015. Recent developments in steroidal and nonsteroidal aromatase inhibitors for the chemoprevention of estrogen-dependent breast cancer. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 102, 375-386.
- Irshad Ahmad* and Shagufta*. 2015. Sulfones: An important class of organic compounds with diverse biological activities. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 7 (3), 19-27.
- Priyanka Singh, Subal Kumar Dinda, Shagufta, Gautam Panda. 2013. Synthetic approach towards trisubstituted methanes and a chiral tertiary α-hydroxyaldehyde, possible intermediate for tetrasubstituted methanes. RSC Adv. 3, 12100-12103.
- Donna J. Nelson, Shagufta, Ravi Kumar. 2012. Characterization of a tamoxifen-tethered single-walled carbon nanotube conjugates by using NMR spectroscopy. Bioanal. Chem. 404:771–776.
- Donna J. Nelson, Ravi Kumar, 2012. Regiochemical reversals in nitrosobenzene reactions with carbonyl compounds – α-aminooxy ketone versus α-hydroxyamino ketone products. Eur. J. Org. Chem. (30): 6013-6020.
- Munikumar R. Reddy, Elisabeth Klaasse, Shagufta, Adriaan P. IJzerman, Andreas Bender. 2010. Validation of an in silico hERG model and its applications to the virtual screening of commercial compound databases. Med. Chem. 5: 716-729.
- Shagufta, Dong Guo, Elisabeth Klaasse, Henk de Vries, Johannes Brussee, Lukas Nalos, Martin B Rook, Marc A Vos, Marcel AG van der Heyden and Adriaan P. IJzerman. 2009. Exploring the chemical substructures essential for hERG K+ channel blockade by synthesis and biological evaluation of dofetilide analogues. Med. Chem. 4:1722-1732.
- Shagufta, Ritesh Singh and Gautam Panda. 2009, Synthetic studies towards steroid-amino acid hybrids. Indian Journal of Chemistry. 48B: 989-995.
- Maloy K. Parai, Shagufta, Ajay K. Srivastava, Matthias Kassack, Gautam Panda. 2008. An unexpected reaction of phosphorous tribromide on chromanone, thiochromanone, 3,4-dihydro-2H-benzo[b]thiepin-5-one, 3,4-dihydro-2H-benzo[b]oxepin-5-one and tetralone derived allylic alcohols: a case study. Tetrahedron 64: 9962-9976.
- Gautam Panda, Maloy Kumar Parai, Sajal Kumar Das, Shagufta, Manish Sinha, Vinita Chaturvedi, Anil K. Srivastava, Anil N. Gaikwad, Sudhir Sinha. 2007. Effect of substituents on diarymethanes for antitubercular activity. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 42: 410-419.
- Shagufta and Gautam Panda. 2007. A new example of a steroid-amino acid hybrid: Construction of constrained nine membered D-ring steroids. Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry 5: 360- 366.
- Shagufta, Ashutosh Kumar, Gautam Panda and Mohammad Imran Siddiqi. 2007. CoMFA and CoMSIA 3D-QSAR analysis of diaryloxy methano phenanthrene derivatives as anti- tubercular agents. Journal of Molecular Modeling 13: 99-107.
- Shagufta, Ajay Kumar Srivastava, Ramesh Sharma, Rajeev Mishra, Anil K. Balapure, Puvvada S. R. Murthy and Gautam Panda. 2006. Substituted phenanthrenes with basic amino side chains: A new series of anti-breast cancer agents. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry 14: 1497-1505.
- Shagufta, Ajay Kumar Srivastava and Gautam Panda. 2006. Isomerization of allylic alcohols into saturated carbonyls using phosphorus tribromide. Tetrahedron Letters 47: 1065-1070.
- Gautam Panda, Jitendra K. Mishra, Shagufta, T. C. Dinadayalane and G. Narahari Sastry & Devendra S Negi. 2006. Hard-soft acid-base (HSAB) principle and difference in d-orbital configurations of metals explain the regioselectivity of nucleophilic attack to a carbinol in Friedel-Crafts reaction catalyzed by Lewis and protonic acids. Indian Journal of Chemistry 45B: 276-287.
- Shagufta, Maloy Kumar Parai and Gautam Panda. 2005. A new strategy for the synthesis of aryl- and heteroaryl-substituted exocyclic olefins from allyl alcohols using PBr3. Terahedron Letters 46: 8849-8852.
- Shagufta, Resmi Raghunandan, Prakash R. Maulik and Gautam Panda. 2005. Convenient phosphorus tribromide induced syntheses of substituted 1-arylmethylnaphthalenes from 1-tetralone derivatives. Tetrahedron Letters 46: 5337-5341.
- Gautam Panda, Shagufta, Anil K. Srivastava and Sudhir Sinha. 2005. Synthesis and antitubercular activity of 2-hydroxy-aminoalkyl derivatives of diaryloxy methano phenanthrenes. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters 15: 5222-5225.
- Sajal Kumar Das, Shagufta, and Gautam Panda. 2005. An easy access to unsymmetric trisubstituted methane derivatives (TRSMs). Tetrahedron Letters 46: 3097-3102.
- Shagufta, Jitendra Kumar Mishra, Vinita Chaturvedi, Anil K. Srivastava, Ranjana Srivastava and Brahm S. Srivastava. 2004. Diaryloxy methano phenanthrenes: a new class of antituberculosis agents. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry 12: 5269-5276.
Selected International Events:
- The International Translational and Regenerative Medicine Conference, April 25-27, 2018, Rome, Italy
- 10th International Workshop on Advanced Materials, February 18-21, 2018, Ras Al Khaimah, UAE.
- Emirates Foundation’s Think Science Competition, World Trade Center, April 18-20, 2017, Dubai, UAE.
- Mathematics and Natural Sciences Conference, April 19-21, 2017, Ras Al Khaimah, UAE.
- 9th Annual International Workshop on Advanced Material, February 19-21, 2017, Ras Al Khaimah, UAE.
- Emirates Foundation’s Think Science Competition, World Trade Center, April 17-19, 2016, Dubai, UAE.
- 8th Annual International Workshop on Advanced Material, February 21-23, 2016, Ras Al Khaimah, UAE.
- 4th International Conference on Energy, Water and Environmental Systems, December 15-17, 2015, Ras Al Khaimah, UAE.
- 7th Annual International Workshop on Advanced Material, February 25-27, 2015, Ras Al Khaimah, UAE.
- Current Perspectives in Organic Chemistry, December 7-9, 2006, Calcutta, India.
- Organic Chemistry Today and Tomorrow, January 1-4, 2005, Bangalore, India.
- 7th National Conference of Indian Society of Chemists and Biologists, December 26-28, 2003, Agra, India.