Dr. Fernando possesses a Ph.D. in Architectural Acoustics from the School of Architecture of Madrid, Spain. He studied spatial perception of an architectural project and empirical parameters to qualify a Concert Hall. He has a seventeen year teaching experience related to construction technology, building physics, acoustics, energy management in buildings, building construction and architectural design.
Part of his postdoctoral research is focused on studying energy efficiency in buildings, especially in lightweight multilayer active enveloping systems. He has published articles in journals and has attended and presented the results of his research work at prestigious international conferences such as the ASHRAE’s Hot Climate Conference in Doha, Qatar, the Energy Forum on Advanced Building Skins in Bressanone, Italy and the Iberoamerican Congress on Acoustics (FIA). His research interests are related to energy simulation and monitoring systems in net zero energy buildings; new materials for regenerative buildings; Active Noise Control and acoustical components and geometric considerations for spatial perception of an architectural project;. Simulation of acoustical behavior of concert halls by acoustic scale modelling, ray-tracing techniques or direct numerical simulation methods; energy efficiency in buildings, especially in lightweight multilayer active envelope systems.
Dr. Fernando earned a Master in renewable energies at San Pablo CEU University in Madrid. Prior to that, he acquired more than 10 years of professional experience as a co-founder of an architectural bureau. He is a co-founder of IntelliGlass S.L., a technology based company devoted to develop new active envelopes for buildings. This company won the award for the Best Entrepreneurship Idea of the IV Business Development Program for Technology Base Companies “ActúaUPM” in 2007.
Dr. Fernando has published the patent document “Active Transparent or Translucent Enclosures with Energy Control Capacity” (PCT ES/2008/000071, USA 12/545510) as a co-inventor with other Spanish researchers.
He has been involved, as a member of a technology based company, in important research projects granted by Ministry of Science and Technological Innovation and Ministry of Industry, Energy and Tourism in Spain:
- Intelligent System for Energy Management in Building Envelopes Rehabilitation based on IntelliGlass Ministry of Science and Technological Innovation, Spain. INNPACTO Program. Reserch Grant :2.300.789,87€.
- Energy Management System in Buildings with RadiaGlass Ministry of Industry, Energy and Tourism. Avanza Competitividad I+D+I program.
- Research Grant : 2.764.341,37€.
- Active Glazing with convective heat transfer and variable transparency due to nanoparticles fluid. Ministry of Industry, Energy and Tourism. Spain.
Dr. Fernando has gained considerable expertise from both industry and University over the years. His philosophy as an educator is to provide students with a holistic-based education that combines passion for drawing, experience in construction industry and research skills. Travelling has succeeded in opening up his mind, therefore allowing him to appreciate traditional European Architecture, Islamic Architecture in southern Spain, Romanesque and Gothic Architecture in France and Classic, Renaissance and Baroque buildings in Italy.
Architecture is experiential in both emotional and physical terms and multiple factors affect the success of a building: aesthetics, constructability, cost, comfort, functionality, context, sustainability and durability. To design a building it is necessary to compromise knowledge from a wide range of disciplines and subjects such as climate and energy consumption.
Dr. Fernando’s goal as a professor consists of presenting relevant material as clearly as possible, focusing on the learning outcomes, handling student difficulties by asking questions and waiting for questions to be asked, and assigning numerous in-class activities to make sure that the fundamental concepts are well understood.
- 1997 Bachelor of Architecture from the Polytechnic University of Madrid, Spain.
- 2005 Ph.D. in Architecture with an emphasis on Architectural Acoustics. Polytechnic University of Madrid, Spain.
- 2011 Master in Renewable Energy. CEU San Pablo University. Madrid, Spain.
- 3D Video Creation, editing and manipulation. Instituto de Ciencias de la Educación. Barcelona, Spain.
- Course for advanced web designers. Instituto de Ciencias de la Educación. Madrid, Spain.
- Del Ama Gonzalo, F. Moreno, B. Hernandez Ramos, J.A. (2016) Wireless low cost temperature and humidity sensors with PV microcells. Determination of design parameters by means of experimental measurements. Pages: 1-4, DOI: 10.1109/ICEDSA.2016.7818532. IEEE Conference Publications.
- Del Ama Gonzalo, F, Hernandez Ramos, J.A. 2016. Testing of Water Flow Glazing in Shallow Geothermal Systems. Procedia Engineering. Volume 161, 2016, Pages 887–891.
- Del Ama Gonzalo, F. 2015. Efficient energy use in buildings by means of water flow glazing and ground source heat pump. International Journal of Current Research. Vol. 7, Issue, 05, pp.15996-16000, May, 2015.
- Hernandez, J.A., Del Ama, F., (2014) Thermal simulator for HVAC systems based upon polymorphic components connected by graphs. Mathematical Thinking Research Journal, October 2014. P91-104, Madrid, Spain. ISSN: 2174-0410.
- Hermanns, M., Del Ama, F., Hernandez J.A., (2012) Analytical solution to the one-dimensional non-uniform absorption of solar radiation in uncoated and coated single glass panes. Energy and Buildings Volume 47, April 2012, Pages 561–571.
- Intelligent symbiotic system for saving energy in construction of building or house, has automatons connected to phase and neutral lines of electrical installation, where automatons send and receive data to and from hub. Patent Number(s): ES2533198-A1 Inventor(s): HERNANDEZ RAMOS J A, DEL AMA GONZALO F Patent Assignee Name(s) and Code(s): UNIV MADRID POLITECNICA (UYMA-Non-standard) Derwent Primary Accession Number: 2015-30747Q 
- Lightweight fabric enclosure used as envelope tents, tents or canopies in emergency social housing and other temporary shelter, comprises two layers of lightweight fabric made of polyethylene terephthalate polyester or polyvinylchloride. Patent Number(s): ES1117231-U Inventor(s): ROS GARCIA J M, CAMACHO DIEZ J J, DEL AMA GONZALO F Patent Assignee Name(s) and Code(s): UNIV FUNDACION SAN PABLO CEU (UYSA-Non-standard) Derwent Primary Accession Number: 2014-Q82213 
- Smart wireless device for use with electrical switches or switches for home automation and control, has power miniaturized plate, integrated circuit chip for communicating radio-frequency and two power cords. Patent Number(s): ES1082529-U Inventor(s): HERNANDEZ RAMOS J A, MORENO SANTAMARIA M B, ALONSO GONZALEZ A, GARCIA DAROCA C, FERNANDEZ SANCHEZ A, DEL AMA GONZALO F. Patent Assignee Name(s) and Code(s): DEL AMA GONZALO F (GONZ-Individual) Derwent Primary Accession Number: 2013-L91975 
- Active transparent or translucent enclosure, has hydrostatic pressure reducing device reducing thicknesses of transparent sheets which contain liquid, where control of building lighting is performed by adjustable transparency of liquid. Patent Number(s): US2010044006-A1 25 Feb 2010 F24D-003/12. Inventor(s): HERNANDEZ RAMOS J A, HERMANNS M, DEL AMA GONZALO F, HERNANDEZ JIMENEZ C J. Patent Assignee Name(s) and Code(s): UNIV MADRID POLITECNICA (UYMA-Non-standard).
External Funding (Agency, amount, duration, title, Principle Investigator, Co Investigators)
- Ministry of Science and Technological Innovation, Spain. INNPACTO Program. Reserch Grant: 2.300.789,87€. 2011-2014. Intelligent System for Energy Management in Building Envelopes Rehabilitation based on IntelliGlass technology. Participants and Budget: STRUNOR CONSTRUCCIONES METÁLICAS, S.L. € 967.595,59 UNIVERSIDAD POLITECNICA DE MADRID € 493.800,00 INTELLIGLASS S.L. € 284.264,00 (PI Fernando del Ama Gonzalo) SVAM ARQUITECTOS Y CONSULTORES, S.L.P. € 278.250,00 ZONA DE EXPERTOS 2009, S.L. € 276.880,28
- Ministry of Industry, Energy and Tourism. Avanza Competitividad I+D+I program. Reserch Grant: 2.764.341,37€. 2010-2013. Energy Management System in Buildings with RadiaGlass Technology. Participants and Budget: SEPARATOR, S.A € 437.333,00 UNIVERSIDAD POLITECNICA DE MADRID € 251.994,37 AMETSLAB S.L. € 616.092,00 ZONA DE EXPERTOS 2009, S.L. € 403.400,00 INTELLIGLASS S.L. € 377.186,00 (PI Fernando del Ama Gonzalo) RUIZ-LARREA&ASOCIADOS S.L. € 310.736,00 EBCONSULTORES PROYECTOS E INGENIERÍA DE TELECOMUNICACIÓN SL € 367.600,00