Dr. Mohammad R. Awal earned his Ph.D. from the University of Oklahoma, USA (1988-1991), M.S. from King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals, and B.Tech. from Indian School of Mines, all in Petroleum Engineering. Prior to joining AURAK, Dr. Awal was team lead of the Fracture Mechanics research program at the Bartlesville Research Center (Oklahoma, USA) of ConocoPhillips, the largest independent US oil company. Dr. Awal held the Kerr-McGee and Anadarko Professorship in Petroleum Engineering at Texas Tech University, USA (2007-2013), and received the Professor of the Year award (2007-2008) from the Student Governing Council. He was recognized for the invention of Plasma Fracturing Technology (PFT), a new method based on Pulsed Power engineering and Fracture Mechanics, to produce a tailored shock wave for Improved Oil Recovery (IOR). PFT is currently in the news as a high-tech, yet low-cost and environmentally benign alternative to the hydraulic fracturing technique for well stimulation. Dr. Awal is the author of Environmentally Conscious Petroleum Engineering in the book, Environmentally Conscious Fossil Energy Production (John Wiley & Sons, 2010).
Following his post-doctoral research at OU’s Center of Excellence in Geomechanics, Dr. Awal started his research and teaching career at the King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals (KFUPM, 1991-2007), where he was promoted to the position of Associate Professor. In Petroleum Geomechanics, he led several award-winning applied research projects that addressed many major oil and gas production challenges, such as horizontal wellbore collapse, massive sand production, and mapping of in-situ stress field. Dr. Awal was also a key researcher in enhanced oil recovery by CO2 injection.
Dr. Awal is a member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE), American Rock Mechanics Association (ARMA), and Pi Epsilon Tau. He is currently engaged in developing new methods for smart artificial lift, rejuvenation of brown oilfields, fracture stimulation enhancement for unconventional oil and gas reservoirs, and new drilling architecture for clean energy production by Engineered Geothermal System (EGS).
- Enhanced Energy Production Storage (Oil, Natural Gas, Unconventional Reservoirs, Coalbed Methane, Engineered Geothermal System)
- Microborehole Drilling
- Rejuvenation of Brown Fields
- Artificial Lift
- Awal, M.R., “Plasma Stimulation & Fracturing Technology (PSF),” in European Commission Technical Report, titled An overview of hydraulic fracturing and other formation stimulation technologies for shale gas production. September, 2013.
- Siddiqui, S., and Awal, M.R. “Extraction of porosity and permeability for large cutting-size samples,” peer-reviewed paper presented at the International Symposium of the Society of Core Analysts, Austin, TX, September 18- 21, 2011.
- Hemmert, D.J., Smirnov, V.I., Awal, M.R., Lati, S. and Shetty, A. “Pulsed Power Generated Shockwaves in Liquids from Exploding Wires and Foils for Industrial Applications.” Proceedings of 16th Symposium on High Current Electronics, Tomsk, Russia, 19-24 September, 2010.
- Awal, M.R., Heinze, L.R. “A New Nodal Analysis Technique Helps Improve Well Completion and Economic Performance of Matured Oil Fields,” SPE 120632 presented at 2009 SPE Production Operations Symposium, held at Oklahoma City, OK, April 5-7, 2009.
- Awal, M.R.: Environmentally Conscious Petroleum Engineering. Chapter 1 in ENVIRONMENTALLY CONSCIOUS FOSSIL ENERGY ENGINEERING. Dr. Myer Kutz (ed.), John Wiley & Sons (2010).
- Mohiuddin, M. A., K. Khan, A. Abdulraheem, A. Al-Majed and M. R. Awal. “Analysis of Wellbore Instability in Horizontal Wells Using Field Data,” Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering (Elsevier), Jan. 2007.
- Awal, M.R., and Mohiuddin, M.A. “Autoscan Shift: A new core-rock data integration technique to overcome the shortcomings of conventional regression.” Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering (Elsevier), v 51, 2006.
- Awal, M.R., M. Azeemuddin, S. Khan, M.S. Khan, A. Abdulraheem, and M.A. Mohiuddin. “A More Realistic Sand Production Prediction Using Pore Collapse Theory”. In Rock Mechanics in the National Interest, Volume I. (Eds.) Derek Elsworth, John. P. Tinucci & Keith A. Heasley. A.A. Balkema Publishers/ Swets & Zeitlinger B.V., Lisse/The Netherlands. 2001
- Awal, M.R., Razzak, S.A., Al-Majed, A.A., Yousef, H.Y., and Zughbi, H.D. “Liquids Phase Holdup and Separation Characteristics as a Function of Well Inclination and Flow rate,” SPE 106325 paper presented at the SPE Technical Symposium, held in Dhahran, May 14-16, 2005.
- Mohiuddin, M. A., A. Abdulraheem, D. Al-Qudaihy, M. R. Awal and K. Khan. “Wellbore Instability in a Saudi Arabian Sandstone Reservoir: Causes and Solutions.” Paper number U379 presented at the 5th International Petroleum Conference and Exhibition, PETROTECH-2003, New Delhi, India. January 9 – 12, 2003.
- Awal, M.R., and M.A. Mohiuddin. “Introducing an enhanced calibration technique for core-log rock mechanical parameters,” SPE paper No. 78593, presented as a poster at the 2002 Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference, Abu Dhabi, Oct. 13-16, 2002.
- Awal, M.R. “Coal-bed Methane: Prospects & challenges of advanced technology from the petroleum industry.” Invited paper for the International Conference on Mechanization and automation in mining industry, held at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India, and sponsored by The Mining, Geological & Metallurgical Institute of India, Kolkata. 21-23 July, 2001.
- Awal, M.R., M.S. Khan, M.A. Mohiuddin, and A. Abdulraheem (2001). “A New Approach to Borehole Trajectory Optimization for Increased Hole Stability.” SPE Paper 68092, presented at MEOS-2001, Manama, Bahrain, March 23-27.
- Mohiuddin, M.A., M.R. Awal, A. Abdulraheem, K. Khan and M.S. Khan. “A New Diagnostic Approach to Identify the Causes of Borehole Instability in the Offshore Arabian Field.” SPE Paper 68095, SPE Middle East Oil Show-2001, Manama, Bahrain, March 23-27, 2001.
- Mohiuddin, M., G. Korvin, A. Abdulraheem, M. Awal, K. Khan and M.S. Khan. “From rock physics to rock texture: A case study of Saudi Arabian reservoir rocks”. GEO 2000, 4th Middle East Geosciences Conference and Exhibition, Manama, Bahrain. March 27-29, 2000.
- Awal, M. R., G. Korvin, M.A. Mohiuddin, A. Abdulraheem, K. Khan and M.S. Khan. “Ultrasonic wave attenuation in cores: A new approach to enhance accuracy, reproducibility, and data processing.” International Symposium of the Society of Core Analysis, held in Abu Dhabi, UAE. 18-22 October, 2000.
- Mohiuddin, M.A., G. Korvin, A. Abdulraheem, M.R. Awal, K. Khan, M.S. Khan and H.M. Hassan. “Stress-Dependent Porosity and Permeability of a Suite of Samples from Saudi Arabian Sandstone and Limestone Reservoirs.” International Symposium of the Society of Core Analysts, held in Dubai, UAE. October 18-22, 2000.
- Abdulraheem, A., M.A. Mohiuddin, G. Korvin, M.R. Awal, K. Khan, M.S. Khan, and A. Alghamdi. “Parametric Study of Ultrasonic Velocity Using Reservoir Cores for Enhancing Seismic Signatures for Improved Reserves Definition.” Proc. 1999 SPE Technical Symposium, held in Dhahran, KSA, pp. 111-120.
- Awal, M.R., A. Abdulraheem, M.S. Khan, B. Mtawae, and A.A. Almajed. “On the Importance of Rock Mechanics Properties and In-situ Stress Field in the Khuff Formations for Gas Field Development.” SPE Technical Symposium, held in Dhahran, KSA, March 23, 1999, pp. 147-152.
- Awal, M.R., A. Abdulraheem and S.F. Taher. “A New Numerical Simulation Model and Upscaling Technique for Scaled Model Sand Production.” Proc., SPE 10th Middle East Oil Show & Conference, 15-18th March, 1997. Bahrain, Vol. 2. pp. 99-109.
- Awal, M.R., S. Osman, and A.S. Harouaka. “SandPro—An interactive program for sand production prediction,” SPE paper No. 30198 SPE Petroleum Computer Conference, Houston, TX. June 11-14, 1995.