Prof. “Moh’d Sami” Ashhab earned his B.S. degree in mechanical engineering / thermal science from the University of Jordan in 1994, M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in mechanical engineering / control and dynamics from the University of California, Santa Barbara, U.S.A. in 1996 and 1998, respectively. After working for about four years in industry in the U.S.A., he joined the Hashemite University in Jordan in year 2002 where he became a mechanical engineering Professor in 2013 until the present time. Prof. Ashhab spent his sabbatical and unpaid leaves during the period 2015 – 2018 as a mechanical engineering professor at the American University of Ras Al Khaimah in United Arab Emirates. He joined the newly established Al Hussein Technical University, Amman, Jordan as a mechanical engineering professor in September 2020. Prof. Ashhab is currently the editor-in-chief of the Jordan Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. His primary interests are in the areas of control, dynamics, mechanics, automation, MEMS and NEMS, artificial intelligence, optimization, simulation, energy and industrial applications.
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering (Jun. 1998), University of California, Santa Barbara, U.S.A.
- Dynamics and Control
- PhD Thesis: Dynamical Analysis and Application of Advanced Control Techniques to Atomic Force Microscopes and Camless Engines
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering (Mar. 1996), University of California, Santa Barbara, U.S.A.
- Dynamics and Control
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering (Jan. 1994), University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
- Thermal Science
1) M. A. Omari, A. Almagable, I. Sevostianov, M. S. Ashhab, A. Bani Yaseen, Modeling of The Viscoelastic Properties of Thermoset Vinyl Ester Nanocomposite Using Artificial Neural Network, International Journal of Engineering Science, Vol. 150, 2020, 103242.
2) S. Idwan, S. Ismail, M. S. Ashhab, M. Awad, I. Matar, Artificial Neural Network Tactic to Predict Interest in Majors in Computing, International Journal of Computer Aided Engineering and Technology, To Appear, 2020.
3) M. S. Ashhab, O. Akash, Neural Network Based Study of PV Panel Performance in The Presence of Dust, International Journal of Embedded Systems, Vol. 11, 2019, pp. 38-45.
4) M. S. Ashhab, Development of Automatic Revolving Door, International Journal of Materials, Mechanics and Manufacturing, Vol. 6, 2018, pp. 373-378.
5) H. Jarad, M. S. Ashhab, Energy Savings in the Jordanian Residential Sector, Jordan J. of Mechanical and Industrial Eng., Vol. 11, 2017, pp. 51-59.
6) M. S. Ashhab, Modeling of 12-Cylinder Camless Engine with Neural Networks, International Journal of Automation, Mechatronics & Robotics, Vol. 3, 2016, pp. 99-102.
7) O. Akash and M. S. Ashhab, Modeling of a Control Access Gate, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, Vol. 11, 2016, pp. 9400-9402.
8) B. K. Hammad, R. H. Fouad, M. S. Ashhab, S. D. Nijmeh, M. Mohsen, A. Tamimi, Adaptive Control of Solar Tracking System, IET Science, Measurement and Technology, doi: 10.1049/iet-smt.2013.0293, 2014.
9) T. Novosel, B. Ćosić, G. Krajačić, N. Duić, T. Pukšec, M. S. Mohsen, M. S. Ashhab, A. K. Ababneh, The Influence of Reverse Osmosis Desalination in a Combination with Pump Storage on The Penetration of Wind and PV Energy: A Case Study for Jordan, Energy, doi: 10.1016/j.energy.2014.03.088, 2014.
10) H. Mikulčić, M. Vujanović, M. S. Ashhab, N. Duić, Large Eddy Simulation of a Two-phase Reacting Swirl Flow Inside a Cement Cyclone, Energy, doi: 10.1016/j.energy.2014.04.064, 2014.
11) M. S. Ashhab, T. Breitsprecher and S. Wartzack, Neural Network Based Modeling and Optimization of Deep Drawing – Extrusion Combined Process, Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, Vol. 25, 2014, pp 77 – 84.
12) M. S. Ashhab, H. Kaylani and A. Abdallah, PV Solar System Feasibility Study, Energy Conversion and Management, Vol 65, 2013, pp. 777 – 782.
13) R.H. Fouad, M.S. Ashhab, A. Mukattash and S. Idwan, Simulation and Energy Management of an Experimental Solar System through Adaptive Neural Networks, IET Science, Measurement and Technology, Vol. 6, No. 6, 2012, pp. 427-431.
14) M .S. Ashhab, A. Al-Salaymeh, A. Al-Muhtaseb, M. Al-Muhtaseb, Hershel-Bulkley Blood Flow in Rectangular Microchannels, International Journal of Research and Reviews in Applied Sciences, Vol. 10, No. 1, 2012, pp. 23-29.
15) A. Mukattash, A. Al-Ghandoor, M. Samhouri, M. S. Ashhab, A Modified Similarity Coefficient Measure for Cell Formation using a Correlation Analysis Approach, European Journal of Scientific Research, Vol. 65, No. 1, 2011, pp. 38 – 44.
16) M .S. Ashhab and N. Talat, Modeling of the MEMS Reactive Ion Etching Process Using Neural Networks, Jordan J. of Mechanical and Industrial Eng., Vol. 5, No. 4, 2011, pp. 353-357.
17) M .S. Ashhab and A. Muhtaseb, Characteristics of Transient Behavior of Gas Flow in Microchannels, Jordan J. of Mechanical and Industrial Eng., Vol. 5, No. 3, 2011, pp. 221-225.
18) M. S. Ashhab, N. Abo Shaban and A. Olimat, Neural Net Based Optimization of Wet Thermal Lateral Oxidation Rates, Sensors & Transducers, Vol. 133, No. 10, 2011, pp. 8-17.
19) M. S. Ashhab, A. Assaf, B. K. Hammad, Reconfigurable High Performance Integrated Micro Strip Yagi-Uda Antenna for Frequencies Between 75 -100 GHz, International Journal of Ubiquitous Systems and Pervasive Networks, Vol. 3, 2011, pp. 29 – 33.
20) M. S. Ashhab, A. Al-Salaymeh and M. R. Abdelkader, Air Flow Velocity Prediction By Inverting A Hot-Wire Anemometer Neural Net Model, International Journal of Heat and Technology, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2011, pp. 129 – 134.
21) M. S. Ashhab, Calibration Model for Industrial Load Cells, Sensors & Transducers, Vol. 130, No. 7, 2011, pp. 91-102.
22) M. S. Ashhab, A. Oimat and N. Abo Shaban, Prediction of the Surface Oxidation Process of AlCuFe Quasicrystals by Using Artificial Neural Network Techniques, Sensors & Transducers, Vol. 128, No. 5, 2011, pp. 55-65.
23) S. Al-Hourani, M. N. Hamdan, A. A. Al-Qaisia and M. S. Ashhab, Fabrication and Analysis of Valve-less Micro-pumps, Jordan Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Vol. 5, 2011, pp. 145 – 148.
24) A. Mukattash, S. Idwan, M. S. Ashhab, M. Samhouri and I. Matar, Optimal Computerized Model for Designing Cellular Manufacturing Systems Using Neural Network, Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 11, No. 15, 2011, pp. 2837 – 2842.
25) M.S. Ashhab, Adaptive Prediction of the Performance of a Photovoltaic Solar Integrated System, International Journal of Thermal & Environmental Engineering, Vol. 3, 2011, pp. 43 – 46.
26) M. S. Ashhab and F. Makahleh, Polysilicon Micro Pirani Vacuum Gauge, International Journal of Sustainable Water and Environmental Systems, Vol. 3, 2011, pp. 1 – 4.
27) M. S. Ashhab, M. Abu-Zaid, O. Baqaeen, M. Khdair and E. Shuaiby, Experimental Study of Emissions and Performance of Internal Combustion Engine Fuels, International Journal of Thermal & Environmental Engineering, Vol. 3, 2011, pp. 95 – 100.
28) S. Idwan, A. Mukattash, M. S. Ashhab, A. Nizar and W. Etaiwi, Application of Enhanced Depth First Search Algorithm to Jordan Road Networks Structure, European Journal of Scientific Research,Vol. 50, 2011, pp. 327 – 332.
29) B. Al-Naami, A. Al-Bashir and M. S. Ashhab, Statistical Modeling for Perception of Images in Stereoscopic Displays, Jordan J. of Mechanical and Industrial Eng., Vol. 3, 2009, pp. 31 – 36.
30) M .S. Ashhab, Optimization and Modeling of A Photovoltaic Solar Integrated System by Neural Networks, Energy Conversion and Management, Vol 49, 2008, pp. 3349 – 3355.
31) M .S. Ashhab, Fuel Economy and Torque Tracking in Camless Engines through Optimization of Neural Networks, Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 49, 2008, pp. 365-372.
32) A. Al-Salaymeh and M .S. Ashhab, Modeling of the Response of a Hot-Wire Anemometer with Neural Nets under Various Air Densities, Sensors & Transducers, Vol. 84, 2007, pp. 1590-1606.
33) M .S. Ashhab, Application of Neural Net Modeling and Inverse Control to The Desulphurization of Hot Metal Process, Jordan J. of Mechanical and Industrial Eng., Vol. 1, No. 2, 2007, pp. 79-85.
34) A. Al-Salaymeh and M .S. Ashhab, Modeling of The Wall Friction Coefficient For Turbulent Flow In Smooth Pipe With Neural Nets, International Journal of Heat and Technology, Vol. 25, No. 1, 2007, pp. 151 – 156.
35) M .S. Ashhab and A. Al-Salaymeh, Optimization of Hot-wire Thermal Flow Sensor Based on A Neural Net Model, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 26, 2006, pp. 948-955.
36) A. Al-Salaymeh and M .S. Ashhab, Modelling of A Novel Hot-wire Flow Sensor with Neural Nets Under Different Operating Conditions, Sensors and Actuators, Vol. 126, 2006, pp. 7-14.
37) E.A. Nada, A. Al-Sarkhi, M. Ashhab, and B. Akash, The Effect of Suction Boundary Condition on the Local and Average Nusselt Numbers for a Free Convection Flow Regime, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 30, Number 3, April 2003, pp. 423-433.
38) M. S. Ashhab, A. G. Stefanopoulou, J. A. Cook and M. B. Levin, Control-Oriented Model for Camless Intake Process (Part I), Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 122, Mar. 2000, pp. 122-130.
39) M. S. Ashhab, A. G. Stefanopoulou, J. A. Cook and M. B. Levin, Control of Camless Intake Process (Part II), Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 122, Mar. 2000, pp. 131-139.
40) M. Ashhab, M. V. Salapaka, M. Dahleh and I. Mezic, Melnikov-based Dynamical Analysis of Microcantilevers in Scanning Force Microscopy, Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol. 20 (3), November 1999, pp. 197-220.
41) M. Ashhab, M. V. Salapaka, M. Dahleh and I. Mezic, Dynamical Analysis and Control of Microcantilevers, Automatica, Vol. 35 (10), October 1999, pp. 1663-1670.
1) M. S. Ashhab, Development of Automatic Diapers Packaging Machine, The IEEE 11th International Conference on Mechanical and Intelligent Manufacturing Technologies, ICMIMT, January 2020, Cape Town – South Africa.
2) M. S. Ashhab, Development of Automatic Revolving Door, The 10th International Conference on Computer Research and Development, ICCRD, February 2018, Phu Quoc Island-Vietnam.
3) M. S. Ashhab, Control of 12-Cylinder Camless Engine with Neural Networks, International Conference on Mechanical Automation and Control Engineering, MACE, March 2017, Jeju Island-South Korea.
4) M. S. Ashhab, O. Akash, Experiment on PV Panels Tilt Angle and Dust, The 5th International Conference on Electronic Devices, Systems and Applications- ICEDSA, December, 2016, Ras Al Khaimah-UAE.
5) M. S. Ashhab, Modeling of 12-cylinder camless engine with neural networks, The 5th International Conference On Advances in Mechanical, Aeronautical and Production Techniques, MAPT, March 2016, Kuala Lampur-Malaysia.
6) M. S. Ashhab, Identification and reduction of vibration and noise of a glass tempering system, The 3rd International Conference on Manufacturing, Optimization, Industrial and Material Engineering, MOIME, March 2015, Bali-Indonesia.
7) T. Novosel, B. Ćosić, G. Krajačić, N. Duić, M. S. Mohsen, M. S. Ashhab, A. K. Ababneh, The Influence of Renewable Energy Sources and Energy Storage Technologies on Fuel Consumption in Jordan, The 8th Conference on Sustainable Development of Energy, Water and Environment Systems, SDEWES Conference, September 2013.
8) T. Novosel, B. Ćosić, G. Krajačić, N. Duić, M. S. Mohsen, M. S. Ashhab, A. K. Ababneh, Potential for The Penetration of Renewable Energy Sources in Jordan’s Energy System, CAPE FORUM 2013.
9) M. S. Ashhab, T. Breitsprecher and S. Wartzack, Double Arm Robot Design, Control and Optimization Using Modelica and Optimica, The 16th IASTED International Conference on Software Engineering and Applications, November 2012, pp. 299-305, Las Vegas-USA.
10) M. S. Ashhab, Solar Tracking by Neural Network Adaptive Techniques, The Second Annual Int. Conference on Advanced Topics in Artificial Intelligence, November 2011, Singapore.
11) M. S. Ashhab, Intelligent Neural Network Control of an 8-Cylinder Camless Engine, The Second International Conference on Kansei Engineering & Affective Systems, November 2008, Nagaoka-Japan.
12) M. S. Ashhab, Modeling and Adaptive Control of A Camless Engine Using Neural Networks and Estimation Techniques, The IASTED International Conference on Applied Simulation and Modeling, August 2007, pp. 262-266, Palma de Mallorca-Spain.
13) M. S. Ashhab, Adaptive Neural Networks Forecasting and Its Role in Improving A Camless Engine Controller, 2006 International Conference on Dynamics, Instrumentation and Control, August 2006, Queretaro-Mexico.
14) M. S. Ashhab, Adaptation of Single Output Feed-forward Neural Networks for Forecasting Applications, The 5th IASTED International Conference on Modeling, Simulation and Optimization, August 2005, pp. 114-119, Oranjestad-Aruba.
15) M. S. Ashhab, A Combination of Neural Net Modeling and Constrained Optimization Towards Inverse Control, The 4th IASTED International Conference on Modeling, Simulation and Optimization, August 2004, pp. 66-71, Hawaii-U.S.A.
16) S. Odeh, S. Nijmeh, M. S. Ashhab, Y. Zakaria and A. Amra, Design of a Single-Axis Tracking Parabolic Collector for Moderate Temperature Applications, ISES Conference, EuroSun 2004, Vol. 1, pp. 527-532, Freiburg- Germany.
17) – M. S. Ashhab, A. G. Stefanopoulou, J. A. Cook and M. B. Levin, Camless Engine Control for a Robust Unthrottled Operation, Society of Automotive Engineers, 1998, SAE paper 981031.
18) M. Ashhab, M. V. Salapaka, M. Dahleh and I. Mezic, Control of Chaos in Atomic Force Microscopes, American Control Conference, 1997, Albuquerque-U.S.A.