The National Alliance for Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships (USA) defines Dual Credit Courses as the opportunity for qualified high school students to take university creditbearing courses to receive both university and high school credit. Dual credit courses provide students the opportunity to get an early start towards achieving their long‐term educational goals. Dual credit courses also enhance a collaborative relationship between the university and the secondary school sector. Dual credit courses allow selected high school students to gain exposure to the academic challenges of the university environment while sharing the support of their familiar high school environment.
Dual credit is the term given to courses in which high school students have the opportunity to earn both high school and university credits simultaneously. Dual credit courses allow the high school student to get an accelerated start on university study. AURAK dual credit courses are taught by university credentialed faculty on the university campus by university‐credentialed faculty.
American University of Ras Al Khaimah will offer Prior Learning through Dual Credit Courses to eligible high school students in the United Arab Emirates on its Campus. All students seeking Dual‐credit for prior learning will travel to the university campus to complete the courses.
The Vice‐President of Academic Affairs & Student Success will have direct oversight of AURAK’s Dual Credit course offerings.
- The Admissions and Enrollment Management Services Committee will oversee compliance with AURAK’s admission requirements.
- The Dean of Academic Support Services will oversee course offerings/scheduling, faculty selection and appropriate support services.
- The appropriate academic dean will maintain responsibility for the supervision of dual credit faculty.
Student Admissions Requirements
To be eligible for the Prior Learning through Dual Credit Courses at AURAK the student must:
- Complete grade 11 or the equivalent,
- Complete the AURAK application for admission,
- Provide evidence of having a high school CGPA of 3.0 or higher based on the AURAK grade scale,
- Obtain a recommendation letter from the high school counselor/representative to participate in the “Prior Learning through Dual Credit Courses” at AURAK.
AURAK transcripts will be released only to the students who will meet AURAK’s admission requirements.
Demonstrated College Readiness
Students must satisfy AURAK placement test requirements for entry into mathematics and English courses.
Continuation in the Dual Credit Program
Dual credit students must maintain a CGPA of 2.0 or higher while enrolled through “Prior Learning through Dual Credit Courses” at AURAK in order to enroll in subsequent Dual Credit course