Dr. Basem Yousef received his MESc and PhD in Engineering Science from the University of Western Ontario, Canada in 2001 and 2007, respectively, and was the recipient of the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC). Dr. Yousef joined the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at the American University of Ras Al Khaimah, UAE, in August 2021. His research interests include Robotics, surgical robots, Mechatronics as well as Artificial Neural Networks. He is a registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario (P.Eng.)
- PhD in Engineering Science (Robotics), University of Western Ontario, Canada, 2007.
- MESc in Engineering Science (Artificial Intelligent Neural Networks), University of Western Ontario, Canada, 2001
- B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, Jordan University, Jordan, 1993.
- Robotics/ Surgical Robotics
- Artificial Neural Networks
- BasemF.Yousef, “A Manipulator for Surgical Tools” United States Patent, (US 9,498,297) granted Nov.22, 2016. http://www.google.com/patents/US9498297
- Basem F. Yousef, (2015) Tracking the Position and Orientation of Ultrasound Probe for Image-Guided Surgical Procedures”, Book chapter in “Telemedicine, Telehealth, eHealth and mHealth”,CRC press, Ch 52,pp 1-14.
- Basem F. Yousef and Nabil Bastaki, (2014),“Worm Robot with Dynamic Adaptation to Pipe Diameter for In-Pipe Inspection”, International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology (IJEIT), 3(10), pp. 286-292.
- Ali Hilal-Alnaqbi; Abdel-Hamid I. Mourad; Basem F. Yousef (2014), “Effect of membranes on oxygen transfer rate and consumption within a newly developed three-compartment bioartificial liver device: Advanced experimental and theoretical studies”, Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry, 61(3), pp 304-315.
- Yousef, Basem F. and Farah Aiash, “A Mechanism for Surgical Tool Manipulation”, 9th IEEE Asian Control Conference (ASCC 2013) June 23-26 in Istanbul turkey.
- Ali Hilal-Alnaqbi; Abdel-Hamid I. Mourad; Basem F. Yousef; John D.S. Gaylor, (2013) “Experimental evaluation and theoretical modeling of oxygen transfer rate for the newly developed hollow fiber bioreactor with three compartments”, Bio-Medical Materials and Engineering, 23(5), pp 387-403.
- Basem F. Yousef; Abdel-Hamid I. Mourad; Ali Hilal Alnaqbi, (2013), “Modeling of the mechanical behavior of polyethylene/polypropylene blends using artificial neural networks”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 64(5-8), pp. 601-611.
- Yousef, Basem F., 2012) A Robot for Surgery: Design, Control and Testing, book chapter in “Advances in Robotics and Virtual Reality”, Springer “Intelligent Systems Reference Library series”, vol. 26, Part I, pp. 33-59.
- Yousef, Basem F.,et al. “In-Pipe Inspection robot”, 15th International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots (CLAWAR), Johns Hopkins University, Maryland, USA, July 2012.
- Basem F. Yousef;Abdel-Hamid I. Mourad; Ali Hilal-Alnaqbi (2011), “Prediction of the mechanical properties of PE/PP blends using artificial neural networks”, Procedia Engineering, 10, pp. 2713-2718.
- HilalAlnaqbi,Ali,Yousuf, Basem, and Gaylor J.D.S, (2011), “Fiber in Fiber (FIF) bioartificial liver device: initial design and prototyping”, Journal of Computer-Aided Design and Applications, vol. 8, No. 1, pp99-109.
- Yousef, Basem F., Patel, Rajni V., and Moallem Mehrdad, (Dec. 2010), “A Manipulator for Medical Applications: Design and Control”, ASME Journal of Medical Devices – vol.4, No. 4, Dec.2010, (10 pages.)
- Yousef, Basem F., Patel, Rajni V. and Moallem Mehrdad, (Apr., 2008) “An Ultrasound Probe Holder for Image-Guided Robot Assisted Prostate Brachytherapy”, Journal of Medical Devices vol. 2, No 2, (7 pages).
- Yousef, Basem F., Knopf, George K., Bordatchev, E.V., and Nikumb, S.K., (2003), ”Neural network modeling and analysis of laser material removal process during laser machining”, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Springer-Verlag London Limited, vol. 22, No. 1-2, pp.41-53.
- Mechanical Design II
- Senior Design Project II