Dr. Fayez Moutassem is an assistant professor in the Department of Civil and Infrastructure Engineering at the American University of Ras Al Khaimah. He received his B.Sc. degree in Civil Engineering from the American University of Sharjah, UAE, in 2001, his M.Sc. degree in Civil Engineering from Texas A&M University, USA, in 2003, and his Ph.D. degree in Civil Engineering from McMaster University, Canada, in 2010. Dr. Moutassem’s research interests are in concrete structures and materials including precast & prestressed members, sustainable construction, green buildings, structural reliability, quality control, and in the properties of structural concrete utilizing special materials. Dr. Moutassem received the best journal paper award for one of his publications, awarded by the Institute of Civil Engineers. Dr. Moutassem has several years of industrial experience. He held the position of Materials & Technical Manager at a leading precast concrete company and has managed a large team of employees. In addition, Dr. Moutassem has industrial experience in the design of concrete and steel structures. He has numerous years of teaching experience and has taught several civil and structural engineering courses both at the undergraduate and graduate levels while working as an Assistant Professor at Bradley University, USA, and at Metro College of Technology, Canada. Dr. Moutassem is a licensed professional Engineer of Ontario, is a certified lead auditor for ISO 9001-2015 (TUV NORD) and is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and the American Concrete Institute (ACI).
- Ph. D., Civil Engineering, McMaster University, Canada, 2010
- M.Sc., Civil Engineering, Texas A&M University, USA, 2003
- B.Sc., Civil Engineering, American University of Sharjah, UAE, 2001
Precast & Prestressed structures, sustainable construction, green buildings, quality control, and properties of structural concrete utilizing special materials.
List of Publications
a. Journal Papers
- Moutassem, F. and Miqdadi, I. (2023). “Mathematical Model for Predicting the Ultrasonic Pulse Velocity of Concrete”, Cogent Engineering, 10:1, 2199513, DOI: 10.1080/23311916.2023.2199513
- Moutassem, F. (2022). “High Strength Concrete Prestressed Bridges: Exposure Conditions, Mechanical Properties, Modified Design Equations, Parametric Study, and Structural Reliability”, Structures Journal, Elsevier Publishers, 46, 1369-1382.
- Moutassem, F. and Hossain, M. (2022). “Tensile Stress Limits for High Strength Concrete Prestressed Structures”, International Journal of Structural Engineering, Inderscience Publishers, 12(1), 31-43.
- Moutassem, F. and Al Amara, K. (2021). “Design and Manufacturing of Sustainable Lightweight Concrete Precast Sandwich Panels for Non-Load Bearing Partition Wall Systems”, Cogent Engineering, Taylor and Francis Publishers, 8(1),
- Moutassem, F. and Miqdadi, I. (2020). “Sustainability-Model Approach for Chloride Permeability based on Concrete Mixture”, Structures Journal, Elsevier Publishers, 28, 983-990.
- Moutassem, F. (2020). “Ultra-Lightweight EPS Concrete: Mixing Procedure and Predictive Models for Compressive Strength”, Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture, 8(5), 963-972.
- Moutassem, F. (2020). “Microstructure Model for Predicting the Sorptivity of Concrete Mixtures”, Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture, 8(2), 77-83.
- Hossain, M. and Moutassem, F. (2017). “Column Slenderness Analysis for Reinforced Concrete Structures using Finite Element Modelling”, Journal of Buildings and Sustainability, 2(2), 31-45.
- Moutassem, F. (2016). “Assessment of Packing Density Models and Optimizing Concrete Mixtures.” International Journal of Civil, Mechanical and Energy Science, 2(4), 29-36.
- Lee, Y.-S., Phares, B. M., Moutassem, F., Syed, A. (2016). “Load Rating of Timber Bridges using Physical Testing and Software Application.” International Journal of Civil, Mechanical and Energy Science, 2(4), 37-41.
- Moutassem, F. and Chidiac S.E. (2015). “Assessment of Concrete Compressive Strength Predictions Methods.” KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 20(1), 343-358.
- Chidiac, S.E., Moutassem, F., and Mahmoodzadeh, F. (2013). “Compressive Strength Model for Concrete.” Journal of Magazine of Concrete Research, Vol. 65, No. 9, pp. 557-572 [BEST PAPER AWARD]
- Trejo, D., Moutassem, F., Hueste, M. B. D., Halmen, C., Cline, D. B. H. (2007). “Influence of Environmental Exposure Conditions on Mechanical Properties of High Strength Concrete.” ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 104, No. 6, pp. 643-652.
b. Conferences and Papers
- Kharseh, M., Al Amara, K., Moutassem, F., Mhairat, W., Sakhrieh, A. (2022). “Prioritize the Right Renovation Measures in Cooling-Dominated Environments”, 2022 ICECTA IEEE, 137-142.
- Hossain, M., Kim, S., Moutassem, F., Khodair, Y., and Lee, Y. (2016). “Teaching Civil Engineering State-of-the-Practice Solutions.” 95th Transportation Research Board, Washington D.C., January 10-14.
- Hossain, M., Kim, S., and Moutassem, F. (2016). “Integrating Renewal Products into the Undergraduate Curriculum and a One-Day Workshop.” 95th Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, Washington D.C., January 10-14.
- Moutassem F., Chidiac, S.E. (2008). “Evaluation of Packing Density Models for Concrete Applications.” 2nd Canadian Conference on Effective Design of Structures, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada.
- Moutassem F., Chidiac, S.E. (2006). “Linking the Rheological Properties of Fresh Concrete to the Hardened Properties.” University Graduate Level Cement & Concrete R&D, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada.
- Structures for Architectures 2
- Advanced Reinforced Concrete Design
- Senior Design Project(1)