Issam M. Miqdadi is currently an Associate Professor in Civil and Infrastructure Engineering at the School of Engineering at the American University of Ras Al Khaimah. Dr. Miqdadi received his PhD in Civil and environmental Engineering from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne in the United Kingdom in 1993. He obtained his MSc in Environmental Engineering (Water) and BSc in Civil Engineering from the University of Jordan in 1989 and 1982, respectively. Dr Miqdadi has assumed several positions within the United Nations, most recent of which has been the Director of Infrastructure in UNRWA, preceded by other positions, including Director of Operational Technical Services and Chief Special Environmental Health Programme. He also served with UNIDO as an Industrial Development Officer, responsible mainly for hazardous waste management and environmental toxicology. Prior to joining the United Nations, Dr Miqdadi served at the Water Authority of Jordan responsible for the design, construction and development of environmental infrastructure. During his career, Dr Miqdadi has been extensively involved in senior management and planning, including strategic planning, quality assurance and quality management, project management, construction management, contract administration, participatory urban planning and community development.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 1993
- MSc, Environmental Engineering -Civil Engineering, University of Jordan 1989
- BSc, Civil Engineering, University of Jordan, 1982
- Water and wastewater treatment, water quality, construction management, contract administration, management and policy, community-based urban planning.
List of Publications
- Infrastructure Assessment of Fast Growing Refugee Camps Storm-Water System in the Semiarid Middle Eastern Regions. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Infrastructure Management, Assessment and Rehabilitation Techniques ICIMART’19, AUS, March 5-7, 2019.
- Impact of Raw Sewage and Disposal and the Use of Scavenger Wells to Control Groundwater Pollution in Gaza, Palestine. Reviews in Biology and Biotechnology. Vol2, No.1, pp.29-37, April 2002 (Co-author with A.S. Aleiwi and A. Mushtaha).
- Water Quality and Pollution in Gaza. International conference on water in KSA (Co-author with Amjad S. Aleiwi)
- The Harmonized Red Book in Support of the UN Mission in the Region. FIDIC Middle East Contract Users’ Conference, Dubai, UAE, 2013.
- Short Forms of Contract (the Green Book). FIDIC Middle East Contract Users’ Conference, Doha, 2012.
- Use of the MDB Harmonized Contract. FIDIC Middle East Contract Users’ Conference, Doha, 2012.
- GEO Cities Manual-Guidelines for Integrated Environmental Assessment of Urban Areas, UNEP, 2008 (member of the reviewing committee).
- Urban Planning Manual, UNRWA together with Stuttgart University, 2006 (contributor and supervisor)
- Heath Care Waste Management Guidelines, UNRWA, 1997.
- Removal of Algae from Facultative Pond Effluent, 1992, PhD Thesis.
- Characterisation of Sludge in the First Anaerobic Pond in Al-Samra Wastewater Treatment Plant, 1989, MSc. Thesis.