Dr. Osama Sohaib currently serves as an Associate Professor (Business Analytics) at the School of Business – American University of Ras Al Khaimah (AURAK), UAE.
Before joining AURAK, he was a full-time lecturer (equivalent to Asst. Prof) at the faculty of engineering and IT, University of Technology Sydney (UTS), Australia, from 2016 to 2022. He also served as a program coordinator/academic advisor for the Master of Information Technology (Business Information Systems) and Master of Information Systems degree courses. He also played a role in redesigning existing IS courses and creating new courses, including accreditation requirements. He now serves as an Adjunct Fellow at the University of Technology Sydney (UTS), supervising and collaborating with research (Ph.D./Master) students.
He completed his Ph.D. (Information Systems) from the University of Technology Sydney. A passionate researcher and academic with over fifteen years of experience teaching undergraduate and postgraduate courses, including supervision of higher degree research students (MS/Ph.D.) in the business information systems field.
Previous academic experience has been in different Australian universities from 2012 to 2022. He taught at Victoria University Sydney campus. He worked as a sessional lecturer (business analytics) at the school of business, Macquarie University, Sydney, teaching in the Global MBA program, and the University of New South Wales, Sydney, teaching in Bachelor of Commerce (Business Analytics major).
He has completed specialization certificates in business analytics and data science for business from Harvard Business School, Harvard University online, USA. He is also a certified Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultant Associate (PL-200), Microsoft Azure AI (AI-900), and TOGAF (Level 1 and 2).
- Ph.D. (Information Systems), University of Technology Sydney, Australia (2012 – 2015)
- Postgraduate Diploma (Information Management), Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand (2008-2009).
- Certificates in Business Analytics and Data Science for Business, Harvard University, Harvard Business School and Harvard Online, United States, [Jul 2021 - Dec 2021]
- Data Analytics Professional Certificate, Google [May 2021 - Jul 2021]
- Business Statistics and Analysis Specialization, Rice University, Houston, United States [Jun 2021 - Aug 2021]
- Data Visualization with Tableau Specialization, University of California, Davis, Davis, United States, [Mar 2021 - Jul 2021]
He has a multi-disciplinary background in business information systems, statistical modeling, and computer science. His research interests include business information systems, digital business, human-centered AI, business intelligence, decision-making, and applied machine learning. His research aims to improve service effectiveness in digital business, e-services, etc., with a strong focus on technology’s ethical and societal implications. He is also collaborating on research projects in Australia and Saudi Universities.
His research has been published in high-impact journals, such as IEEE Access, Mobile Networks and Applications, Computers & Industrial Engineering, Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, Sustainability, PeerJ Computer Science, and International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction and Journal of Global Information Management. Also, his research publications are presented in A-ranked conferences, such as HICSS, FUZZ-IEEE, ACIS, PACIS, AMCIS, etc.
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=PB7c9SwAAAAJ&hl=en
Grants and Awards
- Project Title: Project Matching System | Role: Principal Investigator | Funding Amount: AED 38,000 | Duration: 2023-2024 | Co-Investigators: Dr. Vazeerjan and Dr. Abdelfatah
- Project Title: SECURE - A Learning and Evaluation Platform for Student Entrepreneurs | Role: Co-Investigator | Funding Amount: AED 38,000 | Duration: 2023-2024 | Principal Investigator: Dr. Tahseen | Co-Investigators: Dr. Vazeerjan and Dr. Osama Sohaib
- Project Title: Teaching in the Metaverse: Using Virtual Reality (VR) to Improve Student Engagement in the Classroom | Role: Co-Investigator | Funding Amount: AED 38,000 | Duration: 2023-2024 | Principal Investigator: Dr. Tariq | Co-Investigators: Dr. Tahseen and Dr. Osama Sohaib
- 8000 AUD. 2021- 2022. Principal Investigator. Project title: “Digital Privacy in the Age of Big Data and Machine Learning: People’s Expectations and Experiences.” The funder is King Abdulaziz University, Saudi, in collaboration with Dr. Binsawad.
- 7000 AUD. 2021- 2022. Principal Investigator. Project title: “The Effect of the Use of Interactive Infographic in the Development of Cyber Security Competencies among Umm Al-Qura University Students.” The funder is Umm Al-Qura University, Saudi Arabia, collaborating with Dr. Alammari.
- University of Technology Sydney Blue sky 2017 award ($9000) as a co-investigator. The project titled: Unified Quality of Service Assessment Framework (UQoSA) for Establishing a Reliable Relationship in Cloud. Team members: Walayat Hussain, Prof. Ghassan Beydoun
- 2014 FEIT Seeding Grant, University of Technology Sydney ($5000), “Cultural e-commerce framework.” Team members: Kyeong Kang (CI)
Best paper award: Paper title ‘Assessing Web Content Accessibility of E-Commerce Websites for People with Disabilities”. 25th International Conference on Information Systems Development (ISD), Sweden, 24th – 26th August 2016
Selected Research Publications
The year 2023
- Kang K., Li L., & Sohaib O. (2023). Graduates’ intention to develop live commerce: The educational background perspective using multi-group analysis. Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, 11(1), 113-126. https://doi.org/10.15678/EBER.2023.110106 (SJR Q1)
- Uddin, A., Cetindamar, D., Hawryszkiewycz, I., Sohaib O. (2023). The Role of Dynamic Cloud Capability in Improving SME's Strategic Agility and Resource Flexibility: An Empirical Study. Sustainability 15, no. 11: 8467. https://doi.org/10.3390/su15118467 (SJR Q1)
- Li, L., Kang, K. and Sohaib O.(2023), “Investigating factors affecting Chinese tertiary students’ online-startup motivation based on the COM-B behaviour changing theory,” Journal of Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies, https://doi.org/10.1108/JEEE-08-2021-0299 (SJR Q1)
- Qahl, M., & Sohaib O. (2023). Key factors for a creative environment in Saudi Arabian higher education institutions. Journal of Information Technology Education: Innovations in Practice, 22, 1-48. https://doi.org/10.28945/5105 (SJR Q2)
- Alyami, A., Pileggi, S. F., Sohaib O.., Hawryszkiewycz, I., (2023). Seamless transformation from use case to sequence diagrams. PeerJ Computer Science, (SJR Q2; Clarivate IF 2.4)
- Li, L., Kang, K., & Sohaib O.. (2023). The impact of group support on college student’s online-business motivation: The uncertainty-avoidance thinking as a moderating factor. Journal of Business Perspectives and Research (BPR) (SJR Q3)
- Li, L., Kang, K., & Sohaib O. (2023). Analysing younger online viewers’ motivation to watch video game live streaming through a positive perspective. Journal of Economic Analysis, 2(2), 56-69. https://anser.press/index.php/JEA/article/view/230
The year 2022
- Wu, K., Beydoun, G., Sohaib, O.et al. The Co-construct/ Co-evolving Process between Organization’s Absorptive Capacity and Enterprise System Practice under Changing Context: The Case of ERP Practice. Information Systems Frontier (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10796-021-10238-1 (SJR Q1)
- Binsawad M, Abbasi GA, Sohaib O.People’s expectations and experiences of big data collection in the Saudi context. PeerJ Computer Science, 8:e926 https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj-cs.926 (SJR Q2)
- Alammari, A., Sohaib, O., & Younes, S. (2022). Developing and evaluating cybersecurity competencies for students in computing programs. PeerJ Computer Science, 8, e827. (SJR Q2)
- Rehman, J., Hawryszkiewycz, I., Sohaib, O., Namisango, F., & Dahri, A. S. (2022). Towards the Knowledge-Smart Professional Service Firms: How High-Performance Work Systems Support the Transformation. Journal of the Knowledge Economy, 1-31. (SJR Q3)
The year 2021
- Li, L., Kang, K.and Sohaib, O. (2021), “Investigating factors affecting Chinese tertiary students’ online-startup motivation based on the COM-B behaviour changing theory,” Journal of Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies, https://doi.org/10.1108/JEEE-08-2021-0299 (SJR Q1)
- Alharbi and Sohaib, O; “Technology Readiness and Cryptocurrency Adoption: PLS-SEM and Deep Learning Neural Network Analysis,” IEEE Access, vol. 9, pp. 21388-21394, 2021, DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3055785. (SJR Q1)
- Sohaib, O.; Social Networking Services and Social Trust in Social Commerce: A PLS-SEM Approach.” Journal of Global Information Management (JGIM),29, no.2 2021: pp.23-44 (SJR Q2)
- Dolmark, T.; Sohaib, O.; Beydoun, G.; Wu, K. The Effect of Individuals’ Technological Belief and Usage on Their Absorptive Capacity towards Their Learning Behaviour in Learning Environment. Sustainability,2021, 13, 718. (SJR Q2)
- Rehman, J., Hawryszkiewycz, I., Sohaib, O.; & Namisango, F. 2021. Deriving Intellectual Capital Bottom-Line in Professional Service Firms: A High-Performance Work Practices Perspective. International Journal of Knowledge Management (IJKM), 17(2), 104-129. (SJR Q2)
- Aftab MU, Oluwasanmi A, Alharbi A, Sohaib, O.; Nie X, Qin Z, Ngo ST. 2021. Secure and dynamic access control for the Internet of Things (IoT) based traffic system. PeerJ Computer Science7:e471, 2021 (SJR Q2)
The year 2020 – The year 2014
- Sohaib, O., Hussain, W., Asif, M., Ahmad, M & Mazzara, M. 2020, ‘A PLS-SEM Neural Network Approach for Understanding Cryptocurrency Adoption,’ IEEE Access, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 13138-13150. (SJR Q1)
- Sohaib, O.,Naderpour, M., Hussain, W & Martinez, L. 2020, ‘Cloud Computing Model Selection for E-commerce Enterprises Using a New 2-tuple Fuzzy Linguistic Decision-Making Method’, Computers & Industrial Engineering, vol. 132, pp. 47-58. (SJR Q1)
- Sohaib, O Kang, K & Nurunnabi, M. 2019, ‘Gender-Based iTrust in E-Commerce: The Moderating Role of Cognitive Innovativeness,’ Sustainability, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 1-16. (SJR Q2)
- Hussain, W& Sohaib, O. 2019, ‘Analyzing Cloud QoS Prediction Approaches and its Control Parameters: Considering Overall Accuracy and Freshness of a Dataset,’ IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 82649-82671. (SJR Q1)
- Rehman, J., Sohaib, O., Asif, M & Pradhan, B. 2019, ‘Applying systems thinking to flood disaster management for sustainable development, International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction. (SJR Q1)
- Sohaib, O., Kang, K. & Miliszewska, I. 2019, ‘Uncertainty Avoidance and Consumer Cognitive Innovativeness in E-commerce,’ Journal of Global Information Management (JGIM), 23, no. 1, pp. 1-30. (SJR Q2)
- Sohaib, O, Solanki, H., Dhaliwal, N., Hussain, W.& Asif, M. 2019, ‘Integrating design thinking into extreme programming,’ Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, pp. 1-12 (SJR Q1)
- Manzoor, M., Hussain, W., Sohaib, O., Hussain, F.K. & Alkhalaf, S. 2018, ‘Methodological investigation for enhancing the usability of university websites, Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, pp. 1-19. (SJR Q1)
- Binsawad, M., Sohaib, O& Hawryszkiewycz, I.T. 2019, ‘Factors Impacting Technology Business Incubator Performance,’ International Journal of Innovation Management, pp. 1950007-1-1950007-30. (SJR Q2)
- Othman, F. & Sohaib, O.2016, ‘Enhancing Innovative Capability and Sustainability of Saudi Firms’, Sustainability, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. 1-16. (SJR Q2)
- Sohaib, O & Kang, K.2015, ‘Individual Level Culture Influence on Online Consumer iTrust Aspects towards Purchase Intention across Cultures: A S-O-R Model’, The International Journal of Electronic Business, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 142-161. (SJR Q3)
- Sohaib, O& Kang, K. 2014, ‘Cultural Aspects of Business-to-Consumer (B2C) E-commerce: A Comparative Analysis of Pakistan and Australia’, The Electronic Journal on Information Systems in Developing Countries, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 1-18. (SJR Q2)
Peer-reviewed Conference Publications.
- Sohaib, O.Celina, Olszak, 2021, ‘The Relationship between Online Data Collection and Consumer Autonomy, 54th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), Hawaii, http://hdl.handle.net/10125/70639 (Rank A)
- Rehman, J., Sohaib, O.Hawryszkiewycz, I., Soomro, AM. 2020, ‘Developing Intellectual Capital in Professional Service Firms Using High-Performance Work Practices as Toolkit,’ 53rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), Hawaii, pp. 4983-4992 (Rank A)
- Attar, MMO, Kang, K-S & Sohaib, O.2019, ‘Knowledge Sharing Practices, Intellectual Capital and Organizational Performance, 52nd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), Grand Wailea, United States, pp. 5578-5587. (Rank A)
- Dolmark, T, Sohaib, O& Beydoun, G. 2019, ‘The Effect of Technology Readiness on Individual Absorptive Capacity for Knowledge Transfer,’ 28th International Conference on Information Systems Development, AIS, France. (Rank A)
- Rehman, J, Hawryszkiewycz, I., Sohaib, O & Namisango, F 2019, ‘Rethinking Intellectual Capital in Professional Service Firms: A Triple Bottom-line Perspective on Value-creation’, 30th Australasian Conference on Information Systems (ACIS), Perth, pp. 649-649. (Rank A)
- Ullah, S, Asif, M, Ahmad, S, Imdad, U & Sohaib, O2019, ‘Application of Data Science for Controlling Energy Crises,’ Proceedings of the 2019 8th International Conference on Software and Computer Applications – ICSCA ’19, 2019 8th International Conference on Software and Computer Applications, ACM Press, Penang, Malaysia.
- Sohaib, O, Naderpour, M.& Hussain, W. 2018, ‘SaaS E-Commerce Platforms Web Accessibility Evaluation,’ IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, (FUZZ-IEEE 2018), IEEE, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Rank A)
- Li, L., Kang, K., Sohaib, O. (2023). An Analysis of Cultural Content on Short Video Platforms: Cultural Protection Perspective. In: Samarati, P., van Sinderen, M., Vimercati, S.D.C.d., Wijnhoven, F. (eds) E-Business and Telecommunications. ICETE 2021. Communications in Computer and Information Science, vol 1795. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-031-36840-0_2
- Sohaib, O., and Kang, K. 2017, ‘E-Commerce Web Accessibility for People with Disabilities in Goluchowski, J. (ed), Complexity in Information Systems Development, Springer, pp. 87-100.
- Sohaib, O,and Kang, K. 2017, ‘Online Shopping: Consumer iTrust and Influencing Factors at the Individual Level’ in William D. Nelson (ed), Advances in Business and Management, Vol 11, Nova Science Publishers, USA.
For a complete list of my research publications, please visit my Google Scholar.
- Managing Information Systems Performance
- Introduction to Business Information Systems
- Methods and Models of Management Science
- Analytics for Decision Making
- Research Methodology
- Research Methods for Business
- MBA Investigative Thesis or Project I