Dr. Shagufta Waseem is an Associate Professor of Chemistry at the American University of Ras Al Khaimah since 2014. Before joining AURAK, she worked as a postdoctoral research associate at the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Oklahoma University, USA (2010-2011). She developed a noble drug delivery system for breast cancer drugs using carbon nanotubes and acquired significant experience in nanotechnology and synthetic organic chemistry. She was appointed as a postdoctoral research fellow and visiting scientist at Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (LACDR), Leiden University, The Netherlands, between 2007-2009. Her research interest was in silico prediction and clinical evaluation of the cardiotoxicity of drug candidates. She focused on identifying chemical substructures interacting with the hERG channel as' chemical alerts.' She earned her PhD in Chemistry from Central Drug Research Institute & Lucknow University in 2008. In the summer of 2022, Dr. Shagufta visited the Bioorganic Chemistry Laboratory, Jawaharlal Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore, India, as a visiting scientist under the Sheikh Saqr Laboratory Fellowship and worked on the development of Ru complex for Alzheimer's disease therapy. Dr. Shagufta also worked as a visiting professor in the Department of Chemistry, Wayne State University, USA, in the summer of 2023. She was involved in the design, synthesis, and biochemical characterization of a series of photocaged aromatase inhibitors for breast cancer treatment.
Her research is mainly focused on organic and medicinal chemistry. She is involved in the
development of novel chemical entities as anticancer agents. Her research area includes medicinal chemistry, homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysis for organic transformations, and nanotechnology.
- Transformative Learning (TL) program
Transformative Educator Program - Qedex
- Postdoctoral Research Associate-Organic and Medicinal Chemistry
Oklahoma University, USA
- Radiation protection-level 5B
Boerhaave Commissie in Leiden University
Leiden, The Netherlands
- Drug development and simulation
Top Institute Pharma
Sint-Michielsgestel, The Netherlands
- Postdoctoral Fellow- Organic and Medicinal Chemistry
Leiden University, The Netherlands
- Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry
Area of research: Organic and Medicinal Chemistry
Central Drug Research Institute & Lucknow University, India
Under Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) fellowship-JRF and SRF
- Master of Science in Chemistry
Specialization: Organic Chemistry
Lucknow University, India
- Bachelor of Science
Field of study: Chemistry, Botany and Zoology
Lucknow University, India
- Design, synthesis, and characterization of small organic molecules as potent anticancer agents.
- Developing novel drug delivery system for breast cancer drugs.
- Developing Ru complex for Alzheimer’s disease therapy.
- Design, synthesis, and biochemical characterization of photocaged aromatase inhibitors.
- Developing efficient heterogeneous catalysts for organic transformations.
- Developing effective adsorbent for water purification.
- Shagufta*, Irshad Ahmad. Therapeutic significance of molecular hybrids for breast cancer research and treatment. 2023. RSC Medicinal Chemistry, 2023; 14: 218-232.
- Shagufta*, Irshad Ahmad, Noora Ali Nasar and Maheen Imtiaz Hussain. 2022. Recent Approaches in the Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: An Update. ARCH Women Health Care, Volume 5(1): 1–11.
- Irshad Ahmad*, Shagufta*, Sadia Rehman. 2022. Metal-porphyrin in epoxidation of olefins: Recent advances. Tetrahedron, 104: 132604.
- Shagufta* and Irshad Ahmad. 2021. An Update on Pharmacological Relevance and Chemical Synthesis of Natural Products and Derivatives with Anti SARS-CoV-2 Activity. Chemistry Select, 6 (42): 11502-11527.
- Irshad Ahmad*, Shagufta, Rahul Dhar, Soleiman Hisaindee and Kamrul Hasan. 2021. An environmentally bening solid acid nanocatalyst for the green synthesis of carboxylic acid ester. Chemistry Select, 6 (36): 9645-8642.
- Shagufta*, Irshad Ahmad. 2021. The race to treat COVID-19: Potential therapeutic agents for the prevention and treatment of SARS-CoV-2. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 213: 113157.
- Irshad Ahmad*, Shagufta*, Bong-Sik Kim, Shimy Mathew, Sofia Rahman, and Bhoomendra Bhongade. 2021. Biomass derived adsorbent for the removal of methylene blue dye from wastewater, Accepted in Indian Journal of Environmental Protection 41(12): 1323-1334.
- Shagufta*, Irshad Ahmad*, Shimmy Mathew and Sofia Rehman. 2020. Recent progress in selective estrogen receptor downregulators (SERDs) for the treatment of breast cancer. RSC Medicinal Chemistry 11: 438-454.
- Shagufta*, Irshad Ahmad* 2020. Transition metal complexes as proteasome inhibitors for cancer treatment. Inorganica Chimica Acta 506: 119521.
- Shagufta*, Rahul Dhar, Bong-Sik Kim, Amani Alblooshi , Irshad Ahmad*. 2018. Removal of synthetic cationic dye from aqueous solution using date palm leaf fibers as an adsorbent" International Journal of Engineering & Technology. 7:4, 3007-3013.
- Shagufta*, Irshad Ahmad* 2018. Tamoxifen a pioneering drug: An update on the therapeutic potential of tamoxifen derivatives. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 143: 515-531.
- Irshad Ahmad*, Shagufta* and Abdul Rahman AlMallah. 2017. Advances in Asymmetric Oxidative Kinetic Resolution of Racemic Secondary Alcohols Catalyzed by Chiral Manganese (III) Salen Complexes, Chirality, 2(12): 798-810.
- Shagufta* and Irshad Ahmad*. 2017. An insight into the therapeutic potential of quinazoline derivatives as anticancer agents. MedChemComm, 8: 871-885.
- Shagufta*, Irshad Ahmad, Gautam Panda*. 2017. Quest for steroidomimetics: Amino acids derived steroidal and nonsteroidal architectures, European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 133: 139-151.
- Shagufta*, Irshad Ahmad*, Rahul Dhar. 2017. Sulfonic Acid-Functionalized Solid Acid Catalyst in Esterification and Transesterification Reactions. Catalysis Surveys from Asia, 21(2), 53-69.
- Shagufta* and Irshad Ahmad. 2016. Recent insight into the biological activities of synthetic xanthone derivatives. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 116: 267-280.
- Irshad Ahmad* and Shagufta*. 2015. Recent developments in steroidal and nonsteroidal aromatase inhibitors for the chemoprevention of estrogen-dependent breast cancer. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 102, 375-386.
- Irshad Ahmad* and Shagufta*. 2015. Sulfones: An important class of organic compounds with diverse biological activities. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 7 (3), 19-27.
- Priyanka Singh, Subal Kumar Dinda, Shagufta, Gautam Panda. 2013. Synthetic approach towards trisubstituted methanes and a chiral tertiary α-hydroxyaldehyde, possible intermediate for tetrasubstituted methanes. RSC Adv. 3, 12100-12103.
- Donna J. Nelson, Shagufta, Ravi Kumar. 2012. Characterization of a tamoxifen-tethered single-walled carbon nanotube conjugates by using NMR spectroscopy. Bioanal. Chem. 404:771–776.
- Donna J. Nelson, Ravi Kumar, Shagufta. Regiochemical reversals in nitrosobenzene reactions with carbonyl compounds – α-aminooxy ketone versus α-hydroxyamino ketone products. Eur. J. Org. Chem. (30): 6013-6020.
- Munikumar R. Reddy, Elisabeth Klaasse, Shagufta, Adriaan P. IJzerman, Andreas Bender. 2010. Validation of an in silico hERG model and its applications to the virtual screening of commercial compound databases. Med. Chem. 5: 716-729.
- Shagufta, Dong Guo, Elisabeth Klaasse, Henk de Vries, Johannes Brussee, Lukas Nalos, Martin B Rook, Marc A Vos, Marcel AG van der Heyden and Adriaan P. IJzerman. 2009. Exploring the chemical substructures essential for hERG K+ channel blockade by synthesis and biological evaluation of dofetilide analogues. Med. Chem. 4:1722-1732.
- Shagufta, Ritesh Singh and Gautam Panda. 2009, Synthetic studies towards steroid-amino acid hybrids. Indian Journal of Chemistry. 48B: 989-995.
- Maloy K. Parai, Shagufta, Ajay K. Srivastava, Matthias Kassack, Gautam Panda. 2008. An unexpected reaction of phosphorous tribromide on chromanone, thiochromanone, 3,4-dihydro-2H-benzo[b]thiepin-5-one, 3,4-dihydro-2H-benzo[b]oxepin-5-one and tetralone derived allylic alcohols: a case study. Tetrahedron 64: 9962-9976.
- Gautam Panda, Maloy Kumar Parai, Sajal Kumar Das, Shagufta, Manish Sinha, Vinita Chaturvedi, Anil K. Srivastava, Anil N. Gaikwad, Sudhir Sinha. 2007. Effect of substituents on diarymethanes for antitubercular activity. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 42: 410-419.
- Shagufta and Gautam Panda. 2007. A new example of a steroid-amino acid hybrid: Construction of constrained nine membered D-ring steroids. Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry 5: 360- 366.
- Shagufta, Ashutosh Kumar, Gautam Panda and Mohammad Imran Siddiqi. 2007. CoMFA and CoMSIA 3D-QSAR analysis of diaryloxy methano phenanthrene derivatives as anti- tubercular agents. Journal of Molecular Modeling 13: 99-107.
- Shagufta, Ajay Kumar Srivastava, Ramesh Sharma, Rajeev Mishra, Anil K. Balapure, Puvvada S. R. Murthy and Gautam Panda. 2006. Substituted phenanthrenes with basic amino side chains: A new series of anti-breast cancer agents. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry 14: 1497-1505.
- Shagufta, Ajay Kumar Srivastava and Gautam Panda. 2006. Isomerization of allylic alcohols into saturated carbonyls using phosphorus tribromide. Tetrahedron Letters 47: 1065-1070.
- Gautam Panda, Jitendra K. Mishra, Shagufta, T. C. Dinadayalane and G. Narahari Sastry & Devendra S Negi. 2006. Hard-soft acid-base (HSAB) principle and difference in d-orbital configurations of metals explain the regioselectivity of nucleophilic attack to a carbinol in Friedel-Crafts reaction catalyzed by Lewis and protonic acids. Indian Journal of Chemistry 45B: 276-287.
- Shagufta, Maloy Kumar Parai and Gautam Panda. 2005. A new strategy for the synthesis of aryl- and heteroaryl-substituted exocyclic olefins from allyl alcohols using PBr3. Terahedron Letters 46: 8849-8852.
- Shagufta, Resmi Raghunandan, Prakash R. Maulik and Gautam Panda. 2005. Convenient phosphorus tribromide induced syntheses of substituted 1-arylmethylnaphthalenes from 1-tetralone derivatives. Tetrahedron Letters 46: 5337-5341.
- Gautam Panda, Shagufta, Anil K. Srivastava and Sudhir Sinha. 2005. Synthesis and antitubercular activity of 2-hydroxy-aminoalkyl derivatives of diaryloxy methano phenanthrenes. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters 15: 5222-5225.
- Sajal Kumar Das, Shagufta, and Gautam Panda. 2005. An easy access to unsymmetric trisubstituted methane derivatives (TRSMs). Tetrahedron Letters 46: 3097-3102.
- Shagufta, Jitendra Kumar Mishra, Vinita Chaturvedi, Anil K. Srivastava, Ranjana Srivastava and Brahm S. Srivastava. 2004. Diaryloxy methano phenanthrenes: a new class of antituberculosis agents. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry 12: 5269-5276.
- Invited book chapter in "Advances in Catalysis" book series " 2: Homogeneous Catalysts Development", published by Elsevier in 2023. Title of chapter: 2.05- Homogeneous Asymmetric Epoxidation Reactions Authors: Shagufta* and Irshad Ahmad
- Shagufta. SARS-CoV-2 3CL Protease (Mpro) Inhibitors: An Approach for the Treatment of COVID-19. Invited speaker 3rd International Conference on Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Design, September 27-29, 2021.
- Shagufta. An overview of research in Chemistry at AURAK” at the Virtual Mathematics and Natural Sciences (M&NS) Seminar Series-2021 (Thursday, April 15, 2021)
- Shagufta, Irshad Ahmad. Synthetic Aromatase Inhibitors in the Treatment of Estrogen Dependent Breast Cancer” Oral presentation delivered for the International Translational and Regenerative Medicine Conference, April 25-27, 2018 at Rome, Italy.
- Shagufta, Irshad Ahmad and Rahul Dhar. Solid acid catalysts in esterification reactions. Poster presentation delivered for the 10th Annual International Workshop on Advanced Material, February 18-20, 2018 at Al Hamra Fort Hotel, Ras Al Khaimah, UAE.
- Shagufta. Steroidal and Non-steroidal Molecules for the Treatment of Estrogen Dependent Breast Cancer. Oral presentation delivered for the Mathematics and Natural Sciences Conference, 19-21th April 2017 at American University of Ras Al Khaimah, RAK, UAE.
- Think Science Fair and Competition-2017: Shagufta, Irshad Ahmad, Amani Alblooshi and Rahul Dhar. Applications of Bio-waste In Wastewater Treatment. Poster presentation delivered for the Think Science Fair and Competition, Emirates Foundation, 18-20 April, 2017 at Dubai World Trade Center, Dubai, UAE
- Think Science Fair and Competition-2016: Ahmad, Shagufta, A. Salem Al Bakr, A. Al Awadi, S. Jawad Abu Jarad, and F. Christoper L. Calangi. Nanotechnology in Waste Water Treatment. Poster presentation delivered for the Think Science Fair and Competition, Emirates Foundation, 17-19 April, 2016 at Dubai World Trade Center, Dubai, UAE
- Shagufta and Irshad Ahmad. Chirality: Blue print for future. . Poster presentation delivered for the 3rd International Conference on Global Warming: Food Security, May 5-7, 2015 at Al Hamra Conventional Centre, Ras Al Khaimah, UAE.
- Irshad Ahmad and Shagufta. Nanomaterial in Catalysis: Biomass conversion to Fuel and Fine chemicals. Poster presentation delivered for the 7th Annual International Workshop on Advanced Material, February 25-27, 2015 at Al Hamra Fort Hotel, Ras Al Khaimah, UAE.
- Shagufta and Gautam Panda. A new example of steroid amino acid hybrid: construction of constrained nine membered D-ring steroids. Poster presentation delivered for the International symposium on Current Perspectives in Organic Chemistry, December 7-9, 2006, Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, Calcutta, India
- Shagufta, Ajay Kumar Srivastava and Gautam Panda. Transformation of Allyl Alcohols into Saturated Carbonyls, Exocyclic Olefins and 1-Arylmethylnaphthalenes using Phosphorous Tribromide. Oral presentation delivered for the Organic Chemistry Today and Tomorrow, January 1-4, 2005, Indian Institute of Science, Banglore, India.
- Shagufta, Gautam Panda, Vinita Chaturvedi, Anil K. Srivastava, Ranjana Srivastava and Brahm S. Srivastava. Diaryloxy methano derivatives of substituted phenanthrene as potential antimycobacterial agent. Poster presentation delivered for the 7th National Conference of Indian Society of Chemists and Biologists, December 26-28, 2003 at B. R. Ambedkar University, Agra, India.
- CHEM 095; Introductory chemistry
- CHEM 100; Chemistry in everyday life
- CHEM 101; Chemistry in everyday life laboratory
- CHEM 111; Principle of General chemistry
- CHEM 112; Principle of General Chemistry laboratory
- CHEM 211; General Chemistry
- CHEM 212; General Chemistry laboratory
- CHEM 215; Organic Chemistry-I
- CHEM 216; General Organic Chemistry Laboratory-I
- CHEM 217; Organic Chemistry-II
- CHEM 218; General Organic Chemistry Laboratory-II
- CHEM 214; General Chemistry-II Laboratory
- BIOL 350; Biochemistry II
- CHEM 411; Medicinal Chemistry
- BIOL 411; Drug Discovery, Design and Development
- CHEM 420; Forensic chemistry
- CHEM 421; Forensic Chemistry Laboratory
- CHEM 315; Physical chemistry
- 0205611; Advanced Pharmaceutical Chemistry