Prof. Cristiano Luchetti joined the Architecture department at the American University of Ras Al Khaimah, UAE, in fall 2022. He is currently a Ph.D. candidate at the Universita’ Politecnica delle Marche in Italy. He received a Master’s in Architecture from The Pennsylvania State University in 2004 and a Laurea in Architettura from the Universita’ G. d’Annunzio Pescara in 1999.
Prof. Luchetti is an architect, researcher, and educator who holds more than 25 years of experience in both professional practice and academia. After several years of practicing architecture in East Asia, since 2012, he has taught and researched architectural and urban design for UAE universities. In his professional activity, Prof. Luchetti carries out consultancy for large-scale projects in the Middle East’s residential, commercial, and hospitality sectors. Moreover, he is associate editor of Compasses Architecture & Design and regularly writes about the architecture and urbanism of the Arabian Gulf. In 2018 Prof. Luchetti co-curated the Egyptian pavilion at the Architecture Venice Biennale and, in 2021, co-authored the book “Desert:Space – Architecture for Emptiness.” He recurrently serves as a juror for the most prominent international competitions and awards.
His research includes contemporary architecture and urbanism of the gulf, housing, public spaces, vernacular architecture, and architectural education.
- Ph. D. in Architecture, Universita’ Politecnica delle Marche, Italy (expected November 2023)
- M. Arch, The Pennsylvania State University, US, 2004
- Laurea in Architettura, Universita’ G. d’Annunzio, Italy, 1999
- contemporary architecture and urbanism of the gulf
- public spaces
- vernacular architecture
- architectural education.
- Luchetti C, Rinella T. Desert:Space Architecture for Emptiness. Palermo:Edizioni Caracol
- Luchetti C. Urban Renaissance Rinascimento Urbano Fondazione Inarcassa Workshop 2021, Experiences, Compasses, p. 88-129 / Vol 39
- Cornaro A., Luchetti C., Parati I. Expo Dubai 2020. Focus Issue, Compasses, p. 51-125 / Vol 38
- Luchetti C. The Iranian Palazzina. Focus Issue, Compasses, p. 52-99 / Vol 34
- Luchetti C, El Mashtooly I, Abouzaid M. Roba Becciah: The Informal City. Cairo: National Organization for Urban Harmony – Egyptian Academy in Rome
Peer-Reviewed Presentations and Proceedings
- Luchetti C. The question of Al Seef in Dubai. A case of historicist architecture compared to the global principles of Architectural Heritage. Islamic Heritage 2022, 4th International Conference on Islamic Heritage Architecture and Art, 13–15 July 2022, Lisbon, Portugal. [Paper presented]
- Luchetti C. Dubai’s Peri-Urbanity: An investigation on the city’s desert side. The 4th Memaryat International Conference MIC 2020, Designing for the Desert, Jeddah, KSA, February 26-27, 2020 [Paper selected for oral presentation]
- Luchetti C. Dubai’s Popos. From infrastructural to the pedestrian polycentric city. IX AISU Congress The Global City. The Urban Condition as a Pervasive Phenomenon. Bologna, September 11-14, 2019
- Luchetti C, Martini R. Architecture as Practical Philosophy: The Aesthetics of Contemporary Metropolis. 21st International Congress of Aesthetics, Belgrade, July 22-26, 2019. In: Proceedings of the 21st International Congress of Aesthetics, Possible Worlds of Contemporary Aesthetics: Aesthetics between History, Geography and Media. pp.1973-1980, Belgrade: University of Belgrade – Faculty of Architecture.
- Luchetti C. Robabecciah: The city of disused items. Fourth International Conference “CHANGING CITIES: Spatial, Design, Landscape & Socio-economic Dimensions,” Chania Greece, June 24-29, 2019 [Invited, Paper presented]
- Luchetti C, Martini R. Città Globalizzate e Capitalismo Postmoderno. Interruzioni, Intersezioni, Condivisioni, Sovrapposizioni. Nuove prospettive per il territorio. Napoli, December 14-15, 2018. In: Urbanistica Informazioni, pp.83-85.
- Luchetti C. Urbs and Civitas in the peninsula. Students design architecture for the contemporary Arabian City. 12th International Technology, Education and Development Conference. Valencia, March 5-7, 2018. In: INTED Proceedings, pp.3637-3645.
- Luchetti C, Martini R. The city that penetrates the sky. Preventive conservation of the human environment 6. Architecture as an element of the landscape, Warsaw, October 24-25. In: Archaeologica Hereditas. vol. 10, pp. 235-240, Warsaw: Wydawnictwo Fundacji Archeologicznej, Zielona Gór.
- Luchetti C. The attractive futility of digital architecture. In: Proceedings of AEON International Multidisciplinary Conference on Social Sciences and Arts. pp.171-176, Plovdiv: Aeon Eood, Venice.
- Luchetti C. Martini R. Fake City. In: Proceedings of AEON International Multidisciplinary Conference on Social Sciences and Arts. pp.165-170, Plovdiv: Aeon Eood. Venice.
- Luchetti C. The Space[Less]City trilogy: Students’ architectural design challenges in the Arabian metropolitan sprawl. Design Principles and Practices, Rio de Janeiro, February 24-27, [Paper presented]
- Luchetti C, Martini R. The City Rises. On Dubai and Global Cities. ARCHTHEO’15 IX. Theory and History of Architecture. Istanbul, October 30-November 1, 2015. In ARCHTHEO’15 IX Proceedings Dakam, p. 379.
- Luchetti C, Martini R. An-archetype Dubai. An interpretation of a global city. CONTEMPART’15. Urban Identity, Space Studies, Istanbul, September 6-8, 2015. In: Contemporary Arts ’15 Proceedings (Turcia): Dakam publishing.
- Luchetti C. The Muwaileh experience. Students practices of urban analysis and re-qualification through multidisciplinary arts. URBAN POP CULTURE – Special Conference 4th Global Meeting, Dubrovnik, Croatia, March 30 – April 1 [Paper presented]
- Luchetti C. Space[Less]City: Students’ Perceptive Journey beyond Urban Analysis. The Asian Conference on Education & International Development 2015. Osaka, March 29 – April 1, 2015. In: Official Conference Proceedings. Tokyo: The International Academic Forum (IAFOR) Research Archive, pp.153-160.
- Luchetti C. Space[Less]City: A virtual learning community. In: International conference “Unspoken issues in architectural education” (UIAE’14), Gazimagusa (Famagusta), North Cyprus. April 3-4, Eastern Mediterranean University Press. [Paper presented]
- Luchetti C. Space[less]City: A virtual learning community. 6th International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, Seville, November 18-20, 2013. In: ICERI PROCEEDINGS, pp. 5829-5832.
- Chapters and contributions to edited collections
- Luchetti C. The characteristics of Dubai’s public spaces. Some differences to be aware of. In: Urban open spaces toward the new challenges of adaptability, edited by Filippo Angelucci and Antonio Basti Collana: 86, Architettura & Innovazione, Serie 86.1, BETHA Built Environment Technologies and Healthy Architectures, Published by FrancoAngeli, Milano
- Luchetti C. Tripoli special economic zone. In: Borghi Citta’ Territori. Prove di Cambiamento 17/2022. p.167-170 Architettura e Citta’. Argomenti di Architettura. Di Baio Editore.
- Luchetti C. The short story of Dubai. In: Dubai forward. Architecture in a transient city, edited by Tiziano Rinella and Ruben Rubio, published by Maggioli Editore. pp. 38-39.
- Luchetti C. Dubai Creek: from commercial dock to strategic urban infrastructure. In: Slanted Magazine #32— Dubai, edited by Slanted Publishers 2018.
- Luchetti C, El Mashtooly I, Abouzaid M. Robabecciah: The informal city. In: Biennale Architettura 2018 Partecipating Countries and Collateral Events, La Biennale di Venezia official catalougue, pp. 40-41. Edited by La Biennale di Venezia Editorial Activities and Web, 2018.
- Luchetti C. Where I design. In: Preoccupations: Things artists do anyway, edited by C. Erdmann & M. L. H. Hwee, pp128-129. Hong kong: Studio Bibliotheque.
- Luchetti C. Restructuring Dubai. The challenge of the future. In: Urban Renaissance Rinascimento Urbano Fondazione Inarcassa Workshop 2021 Experiences, Compasses, p. 93-97 / Vol 39.
- Luchetti C. Nature Nurture Future. Compasses, pp 76-81 / Vol 38.
- Luchetti C. Bahrain pavilion.The opportunity of density. Compasses, pp 88-93 / Vol 38
- Luchetti C. The Saudi Arabia Pavilion. The past, the present, and the shared future.Compasses, pp 94-99 /Vol38
- Luchetti C. Balkrishna Doshi and the extinction of modernity. Identity, pp 26-29 / Issue 216 Jan 2022
- Luchetti C. Material / An interview with Wael Al Awar. Compasses, pp 108-121 / Vol 37.
- Luchetti C. Material / An interview with Wael Al Awar. Extract from the full interview. Compasses, pp 22-25 Vol Plus Dubai Design Week 2021.
- Luchetti C. The Extra-Urban House. An Architectural analysis on the potential transformations of the UAE National Housing typologies. Ananke’ 93, pp.55-64 edited by Altralinea Edizioni 2021
- Luchetti C. Style / Interview with Brian Johnson and Wael Al-Masri. Compasses, pp. 100-119 / Vol. 35.
- Luchetti C. On Theo Van Doesburg, Aldo Rossi, and the need for Architecture Criticism in the Gulf. Commercial Interior Design. Webzine [posted 20/11/2021]
- Luchetti C. The augmented creativity of interior design. Commercial Interior Design. Webzine [posted 2/12/2020]
- Luchetti C. The Iranian Palazzina. Compasses, pp. 62-66 / Vol 34.
- Luchetti C. Detail / Interview with Anarchitect. Compasses, pp. 95-103 / Vol 33.
- Luchetti C. Culture / Interview with XArchitects. Compasses, pp. 104-113 / Vol 33.
- Luchetti C. Comment: Architecture academic Cristiano Luchetti critiques Italy Pavilion design for Expo 2020 Dubai. Middle East Architect. Webzine [posted 1/4/2019] and Arabian Industry Webzine posted [1/4/2019]
- Luchetti C. Kostandyan T. The Green Lagoon. Sustainable mixed-use development for the Al Khor Lagoon in Sharjah. Compasses, pp. 106-111 / Vol. 32.
- Luchetti C. Dubai Walk-in city. In ‘Ananke 86, pp. 119-123 edited by Altralinea Edizioni 2019
- Luchetti C, El Mashtooly I, Abouzaid M. Rethinking free space The National Pavilion of Egypt. Compasses, pp.72-77/ Vol 28.
- Luchetti, C, El Mashtooly I, Abouzaid M. The Role of Free Space within the Morphological and Social Fabric of the City. urbaNext. Webzine [posted 22/6/2018]
- Luchetti C. Muttrah’s Fish Market, Middle East Architect, pp. 18-20/ Vol 12.
- Luchetti C. Farshad Mehdizadeh, Middle East Architect, pp. 22-24/ Vol 12.
- Luchetti C. Cristiano Luchetti interviews MEA Awards Architect of the Year Farshad Mehdizadeh, designMENA, Webzine [posted 1/3/2018]
- Luchetti C. AUS academic Cristiano Luchetti examines Snohetta’s fish market in Oman, designMENA, Webzine [posted 21/1/2018]
- Luchetti C. Dubai Creek: from commercial dock to strategic urban infrastructure, Essay, Compasses, pp. 37-42 / Vol 26.
- Luchetti C. The Concrete gallery in Dubai: La machine d’exposition, Compasses. pp. 96-102/ Vol 25.
- Luchetti C. In conversation: Award judge and architect of the year 2013, Middle East Architect. pp. 54-56, Vol3
- Luchetti C. Cristiano Luchetti on using OMA’s Concrete building in Dubai as an architectural metaphor, design MENA. Webzine [posted 28/3/2017]
- Luchetti C. Museums in the UAE: Contrasting cultural design. In: Commercial Interior Design pp. 16-17/ Vol Feb 2017, Middle East Architect. pp. 54-55/ Vol Feb 2017, designMENA. Webzine posted 10/1/2017, Downtown Design. Website Industry News.
- Luchetti C. Cristiano Luchetti in conversation with Iranian architect Kourosh Hajizadeh, designMENA. Webzine [posted 07/2/17]
- Luchetti C. Reporting from the Front – the 15th Biennale di Architettura, designMENA. Webzine [posted 27/06/2016]
- Luchetti C. Zaha Hadid – The queen of the curve. In: Middle East Architect. pp. 18-19/ Vol May 2016, Commercial Interior Design, pp. 125-128/ Vol May 2016.
- Luchetti C. The legacy of Zaha Hadid: The thoughts of Cristiano Luchetti, designMENA, Webzine [posted 11/04/2016]
- Luchetti C. The end of iconism, Middle East Architect. pp. 18-19/January 2016.
- Luchetti C. Are we experiencing the end of iconicism? Cristiano Luchetti, AUS, explores. designMENA. Webzine [posted 19/01/2016] Ames N., Luchetti C., Hussein S. Keeping the Faith: Architects discuss idealism, young minds and internship benefits Middle East Architect, pp. 26-29 / Vol July 2014.
- Luchetti C. Devices for mutable contexts. New Italian Blood Online Magazine
- Building Construction 2
- Professional Practice
- Graduation Project Design