Professor Khalid Hussain is the Dean of the School of Engineering at AURAK. He is also a Professor of Systems Engineering and a Chartered Mechanical Engineer. Prof Hussain joined AURAK after spending 6 years at the Australian University of Wollongong in Dubai as the Dean of the Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences. Prof Hussain spent over 22 years at the University of Bradford in UK, holding a number of leadership roles (Head of School of Engineering, Associate Dean of International Collaborative Partnership, and the Head of the Department of Mechanical Engineering). Prof Hussain worked for 1 year as research fellow at Manchester Metropolitan University, and 4 years as an Automotive Refinement project engineer at the Motor Industry Research Association (MIRA), UK.
Prof Hussain’s bachelor degree is in Applied Mathematics from Manchester Metropolitan University, UK. His PhD titled “Experimental and Numerical Analysis of Vehicle Noise and Vibration” was from Loughborough University of Technology, UK. Prof Hussain’s research interest are in the area of Automotive Noise and Vibration Refinement, Automotive Systems Dynamics and Control, and Mathematical and Computational Modelling of Water Flow and Sediment Transport.
PhD – Mechanical & Automotive
Loughborough University of Technology, UK.
BSc – Applied Mathematics
Manchester Metropolitan University, UK.
There are three areas of research interest:
1. Multibody Dynamics (Vehicle Dynamics and Control)
Mechanical Dynamics and Control principles and theory applied to automotive systems is the main focus for this research area. Both applied mathematical modelling and systems engineering tools are utilized to predict, improve and enhance vehicle dynamics performance and control. This research attracted interest from the automotive industry and suppliers to work on Brakes, Suspensions, Steering, and Clutch systems. Both ride and handling analysis were conducted on both passenger and commercial vehicles and were validated against measured data. Previous projects were funded by a number of car industry and their suppliers (Ford, Hyundai, Honda). I have supervised to completion more than 25 PhD and MPhil/MSc students in this area.
2. Optimization of Vehicle Noise, Vibration & Harshness (NVH)
This work is based on my PhD work at the University of Loughborough in collaboration with the Motor Industry Research Association, UK (MIRA). The research was funded by the UK Department of Trade & Industry (DTI) to investigating Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) within glazed automotive body-in-white. Designed experimental test rigs were constructed and numerical software were developed using boundary and finite element method numerical techniques. Measured data for several scale-models and a full car glazed body-in-white were compared with predicted data to optimize NVH refinement. This work was further developed using anti-noise cancellation and prediction with application to vehicle interior noise. More than 15 postgraduate students supervised in this area.
3. Environmental Computational Fluid Dynamics
The research work in this area involves developing computational prediction tools using novel Finite Volume techniques in the field of computational fluid dynamics with turbulent flow conditions. The developed prediction tool used to optimize the water pollution and sediment transport in channels and estuaries. The research work attracted funding from a number of government and water companies in the UK. I have supervised to completion 3 PhDs and 5 MPhil/MSc students in this area of research.
Research Publications & Supervision
- Zaini D, K Hussain and A J Day, (2016), Modeling and design of cooperative braking in electric and hybrid vehicles using induction machine and hydraulic brake, Journal of mechatronics, electrical power and vehicular technology, vol 7, No 2.
- Pu J. H., Shao S, Hussain K., Huang Y, (2016), Three-Gorges Dam Fine Sediment Pollutant Transport: Turbulence SPH Model Simulation of Multi-Fluid Flows, Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 1-10.
- F.A. Gdhaidh, K. Hussain, H. S. Qi (2015), Enhancement of Natural Convection Heat Transfer within Closed Enclosure Using Parallel FinsWorld Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology International Journal of Mechanical, Aerospace, Industrial and Mechatronics Engineering Vol:9, No:3.
- Pu J. H., Hussain K., Shao S., Huang Y (2014), Shallow Sediment Transport Flow Computation Using Time-Varying Sediment Adaptation Length, International Journal of Sediment Research, 29(2), pp. 171-183.
- Pu J, Shao S D, Huang Y, and Hussain K (2013) “Evaluation of SWEs and SPH numerical modelling techniques for dam break flows, Engineering applications of computational fluid mechanics 7(4) pp 544-563.
- Masri B Baharom, Khalid Hussain and Andrew J Day (2013), “Design of full electric power steering with enhanced performance over that of hydraulic power-assisted steering, Part D: J. Automobile Engineering; Proc. IMechE, 0(0), pp 1-10.
- Barzin Gavtash, Khalid Hussain, Mohammad Layeghi, Saeed Sadeghi Lafmejani (2012), “Simulation of the Effects of Nanofluid on a Heat Pipe Thermal Performance”, International Journal of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Vol 6, pp 445-451.
- N Mirza, K Hussain, and A J Day (2010), “An assessment of a vehicles braking stability: A comparison between Finite Element vs. rigid body analysis”, Part K: J. Multi-body Dynamics; Proc. IMechE, Vol 224, No. K3, pp 307-317.
- M Baharom, K Hussain, and A J Day (2009) “Design concepts and analysis of a semi-active steering system for a passenger car”, Proc. Inst. Mech. Engs. Part K: J. Multi-body Dynamics; Proc. IMechE, Vol 223, No. K4, pp 383-292.
- M Baharom, K Hussain, and A J Day (2009) “Analysis of the properties of a steering shaft used as a back-up for steer-by-wire during system failure” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engs. Part D: J. Automotive Engineering, Vol 223, No. 2, pp 177-189.
- N Mirza, K Hussain, A J Day, (2009), “Effect of Component Stiffness and Deformation on Vehicle Stability during Braking” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engs. Part K: J. Multi-body Dynamics; Vol. 223, No. 1, pp 9-22.
- R A Hokoma, M K Khan and K Hussain (2008), “Investigation into the various implementation stages of manufacturing and quality techniques/philosophies within Libyan Cement Industry”, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Volume 19, No. 7.
- K Hussain, S Hegazy and H Rahnejat, (2007) “Transient vehicle handling with aerodynamic Interactions”, Proc. Inst. Mech. Engs. Part K: J. Multi-body Dynamics; Proc. IMechE Vol. 220 Part K: J. Multi-body Dynamics, pp 21-32.
- K Hussain, S Y Yang, and A J Day, (2007), “Commercial vehicle brake judder modelling using multibody dynamic analysis”, Proc. IMechE Part K: J. Multi-body Dynamics, Vol. 221No 2, pp311-318.
- K Hussain, W Stein, and A J Day (2005), “Modelling commercial vehicle handling and roll stability”, Proc. Inst. Mech. Engs. Part K: J. Multi-body Dynamics; Vol. 219; pp 357-369.
- K Hussain, N Mirza and A J Day (2005), “Investigation Of Dynamic Characteristics Of Suspension Parameter On a Vehicle Experiencing Drift”, Proc. Inst. Mech. Engs. Part D: J. Automotive Engineering; Vol.219; pp 1429-1441.
- S Hegazy, H Rahnejat and K Hussain (2000). “Multi-body dynamics in full-vehicle handling analysis under transient manoeuvre”, Vehicle System Dynamics, pp 34, 1-24.
- S Hegazy, H Rahnejat and K Hussain (2000) “Dynamic tyre testing for vehicle handling studies”, In MBD-MST 2000 , 135-154, 2000. ISBN 1860582583.
- R Mattaher and K Hussain (2000) “Computer simulation modelling for seaport planning and management”, J. Euro. Bus. Education, 9, pp 38-45.
- R Mattaher and K Hussain (2000), “Simulation and analysis for the Kelang container terminal operations”, Logisitic Info. Management J.
- S Hegazy, H Rahnejat and K Hussain (1999), “Multi-body dynamics in full-vehicle handling analysis”, Proc. Inst. Mech. Engs. Part K: J. Multi-body Dynamics, 213, pp 19-31.
- R Mattaher and K Hussain (1999), “Simulation study for seaport planning and management”, In AMPST 99.
- M Omer, K Hussain and SC Wright (1999), “Simulation study of an agile high speed machining system for automotive cylinder heads”, Proc. Inst. Mech. Engs. Part B: J. Engng. Manuf., 213, pp 491-499.
- DW Lloyd, F Mete and K Hussain (1996), “The theoretical mechanics of drape”, Int. J. Clothing Sci. Tech., 8, ISSN 0955-6222.
- K Hussain and K Peat (1994), “Boundary element analysis of low frequency cavity acoustical problems”, J. Sound Vib., 169, pp 197-209.
- Gdhaidh F A, Hussain K & Qi H S (2015), “Numerical study of conjugate natural convection heat transfer using one phase liquid cooling”, IOP Conf. Ser.: Mater. Sci. Eng. 65 012012, doi:10.1088/1757-899X/65/1/012012
- Gdhaidh F A, Hussain K, & Qi H S (2014), “Numerical investigation of conjugate natural convection heat transfer from discrete heat sources in rectangular enclosure”, Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering 2014 Vol II, WCE 2014, July 2 – 4, 2014, London, U.K.,ISBN: 978-988-19253-5-0 ISSN: 2078-0958 (Print); ISSN: 2078-0966 (Online).
- A Alasadi, A J Day, K Hussain and David Bryant (2013). The prediction of pad vibration in a noisy disc brake using multibody dynamics analysis. Eurobrake 2013, EB2013-NVH-003
- M I Ghoma, K Hussain and S Tait (2010). Wall Jet Flow over Sediment Beds in open channel flow. NAFEMS UK Conference, p. 93 – 97.
- M I Ghoma, K Hussain and S Tait (2010). Turbulent Wall Jet Measurements and Modelling of Local Scouring. 11th International Symposium on River Sedimentation (ISRS) Stellenbosch, South Africa.
- Z Zaini, K Hussain & A J Day, (2010) “Mixed-Mode Braking System for Road Vehicles with Regenerative Braking”,pp 115-122, 6th European Conference on Braking, JEF 2010, Lille, France.
- M. Kamal M. Nawawi, M K. Khan, K Hussain, (2008) “Collaborative Lean Manufacturing Management- The Framework and Hybrid Knowledge-Based System”, 24th International Conference on CARS & FOF’08, Koriyama, Japan.
- M. Kamal M. Nawawi, M K. Khan, K Hussain, (2008) “Knowledge-Based Collaborative Lean Manufacturing Management (KBCLMM) System – The Application of Analytic Hierarchy Process”, 24th International Conference on CARS & FOF’08, Koriyama, Japan.
- R A Hokoma, M K Khan, K Hussain (2008), “The Present Implementation Status of Manufacturing Resource Planning (MRPII) System Within The Libyan Textile”, Plastic & Wood Industries, 24th International Conference on CARS & FOF’08, Koriyama, Japan.
- R A Hokoma, M K Khan and K Hussain (2008), “An Investigation of Total Quality Management Implementation Status for the Oil & Gas Industry Within Libya”, MEQA, 2nd Annual Congress, Dubai, UAE.
- J Pu, K Hussain and S Tait (2008), “Experimental and numerical simulation of sediment flushing within storage tunnels”, ICHE2008, 8th International conference on Hydro-Science and engineering, Nogoya, Japan.
- R A Hokoma, M K Khan and K Hussain (2007) “Investigation of the senior management strategy towards implementing manufacturing, planning and control techniques/philosophies within Libya Cement industry: A case study”, 23rd International Conference on CARS & FOF, Bogota, Colombia.
- K. Nawawi, M K Khan and K Hussain (2007), “A Framework for Collabrative Lean Manufacturing Management System”, 23rd International Conference on CARS & FOF, Bogota, Colombia.
- K. Nawawi, M K Khan and K Hussain (2007), “Conceptual Model of Collaborative Lean Manufacturing Management System”, 5th International Conference on Manufacturing Research (ICMR2007):Advances in Manufacturing Technology – XXI, De Montfort University, Leicester, UK.
- J Pu, K Hussain and S Tait (2007), “Modelling of laboratory created highly concentrated sediment transport flow”, 5th IAHR conference (RCEM2007: River, coastal and estuarine morphodynamics), Netherland.
- M Baharom, K Hussain& A J Day (2006), “Mathematical modelling of a cornering vehicle fitted with a hydraulic power-assisted-steering”, Fisita 2006,Yokohama, Japan.
- R Hokoma, M K Khan, and K Hussain (2006), “The current status of MRPII implementation in some key manufacturing industries within Libya: A survey investigation”, 22nd Int. conf. on CAD/CAM, Robotics and factories of the future, Vellore, VIT India.
- R Hokoma, M K Khan, K Hussain& S P Bindra (2006), “Strategic impact of JIT technique for reducing the storage & eliminating the waste within petroleum industries”, Proc. Of the MPC2006, the 9th Mediterranean Petroleum Conference and Exhibition, Tripoli, Libya, pp 152-164.
- N Mirza, K Hussain, and A J Day (2006), “Vehicle Handling and Stability Investigation into Causes of Vehicle Drift during Straight-Line Braking”, SP2108, 2006 SAE World Congress, Detroit, Michigan, April 3-6.
- J Pu, K Hussain and A S Wood (2005), “Modelling of Water Flow and Sediment Transport in Circular Channels with Constant and Variable Roughness”, International Conference on Environmental Fluid Mechanics (ICEFM 05), IIT, India March.
- K Hussain, W Stein, and A J Day (2005), “Handling and stability of a ten wheel commercial vehicle”, European Automotive Congress, EAEC2005, Serbia & Montenegro.
- D Arrundale, K Hussain, H Rahnejat and M Menday (1998), “Acoustic response of driveline pieces under impacting loads (clonk)”, In 31st ISATA.
- K Hussain (1993), “Rapid simulation of structural acoustics interaction”, In IMechE, C462/3/071.
- K Hussain and K Peat (1992), “Error in the low frequency boundary element analysis of cavity acoustics”, In Euronoise 92.
- K Hussain and K Peat (1992), “Faster frequency response calculation by an improved boundary element formulation”, In Vehicle Comfort Conference (Italy), 2, pp 187-196.
- Vibration and Control