Dr. Asha Cyril
Adjunct Assistant Professor - BIOL
Dr. Asha Caroline Cyril is as an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Biotechnology at the American University of Ras Al Khaimah. She holds a Ph.D. obtained from the Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology in India, where her doctoral research focused on "Autoantibodies to Potassium Channels and Associated Proteins in Patients with Seizure Disorders" (Specialization: Biotechnology). Prior to her Ph.D., Dr. Cyril completed her Master's degree in Biotechnology at the University of Kerala, India, with a specialization in Microbiology, Immunology, Cellular and Molecular Biology, and Applied Biotechnology. Her academic prowess extends to her undergraduate studies, where she pursued a triple major in Biotechnology, Zoology, and Chemistry, at the University of Kerala, India. In 2022, she received the University of Sharjah Excellence in Research Award and was honored with the Best Research (GCC) award in the Medicine Category at the 3rd Forum for Women in Research. She was awarded the prestigious INSPIRE fellowship from Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, for her PhD.
Ph.D. Scree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology, India (2015)
M.Sc. Biotechnology, University of Kerala, India (2007)
B.Sc. Triple main (Biotechnology, Zoology and Chemistry), University of Kerala, India (2005)
Dr. Cyril currently holds the position of Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at the College of Medicine at Mohammed Bin Rashid University of Medicine and Health Sciences (MBRU) in Dubai. Her research endeavors encompass a multifaceted exploration of critical areas in biomedical science. Her research interest primarily focuses on the study of molecular mechanisms of pain in in vivo models of inflammation. She is also interested in studying the role of natural products against onset of viral infections as well as in the pharmacokinetic profiling of Non-Steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs administered during in inflammatory conditions. At MBRU, she is also involved in taking specialized courses such as Drug development, use of in vivo models in research and Pharmacogenomics and precision medicine. Before her tenure at MBRU, Dr. Cyril made significant contributions as a researcher at the Sharjah Institute for Medical Research, University of Sharjah. Her remarkable research journey spans across diverse domains of biomedical sciences, encompassing areas such as Cancer Biology, Immunology, and Pharmacology.
List of publications
- Omolaoye TS, Cyril AC, Radhakrishnan R, Rawat SS, Karuvantevida N, du Plessis SS. The Effect of Statins on Male Reproductive Parameters: A Mechanism Involving Dysregulation of Gonadal Hormone Receptors and TRPV1. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2023; 24(11):9221. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms24119221
- Omolaoye TS, Halabi MO, Mubarak M, Cyril AC, Duvuru R, Radhakrishnan R, Du Plessis SS. Statins and Male Fertility: Is There a Cause for Concern?. Toxics. 2022 Oct 20;10(10):627.
- Cyril AC, Jan RK, Radhakrishnan R. Pain in chronic prostatitis and the role of ion channels: a brief overview. British Journal of Pain. 2021 May 19:20494637211015265.
- Vazhappilly CG, Amararathna M, Cyril AC, Linger R, Matar R, Merheb M, Ramadan WS, Radhakrishnan R, Rupasinghe HV. Current methodologies to refine bioavailability, delivery, and therapeutic efficacy of plant flavonoids in cancer treatment. The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. 2021 Mar 8:108623.
- Takaoka K, Cyril AC, Jinesh S, Radhakrishnan R. Mechanisms of pain in sickle cell disease. Br J Pain. 2021 May;15(2):213-220. doi: 10.1177/2049463720920682. Epub 2020 May 22. PMID: 34055342; PMCID: PMC8138616.
- Zeanap A Mabruk, Samrein BM Ahmed, Cyril AC, Sally A Prigent (2018): The role of the ShcD and RET interaction in neuroblastoma surviaval and migration. Biochemistry and Biophysics Reports; Vol (13),99
- Cyril AC, Nair SS, Mathai A, Kannoth S, Thomas SV. (2015) Autoimmune encephalitis: Clinical diagnosis versus antibody confirmation. Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology.18(4):408
- Thomas SV, Sarma PS, Nirmala C, Mathai A, Thomas SE, & Cyril AC (2013). Women with epilepsy and infertility have different reproductive hormone profile than others. Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology, 16(4), 544.
Papers in conference proceedings
- Omolaoye TS, Cyril AC, Radhakrishnan R, Rawat SS, Karuvantevida N, du Plessis SS Statins and Male Fertility: Is There a Cause for Concern? Health Future Submit, UAE; 12th-13th November,2022
- Cyril AC, Luzon Y , Jan RK, Shehab S, Javed H, Othman M, Gaffari YA, Karuvantevida N, Kumar J, Radhakrishnan R .The role of nociceptive ion channels in pain development in a preclinical model of inflammatory prostatitis” Society for Neuroscience 2022, San Diego, USA; 12th-16th November, 2022
- Cyril AC, Luzon Y , Jan RK, Radhakrishnan R. Characterization of the expression of pain receptors in a preclinical model of stain induced myalgia; 3rd Forum for Women in Research “ University of Sharjah, UAE on 25th August, 2022
- Ahmed S, Amer S, Cyril AC, Emad M, Prigent S. The association of ShcD with ERK in acute oxidative stress in B16 melanoma cells”- 3rd CTBT Current Trends in Biotechnology Conference, Manipal University ,13th April, 2017
- Abdel-Rahman WM, Aravind S.R., Nair VA, Cyril AC, Ahmed S, Analysis of the Pathways to Colorectal Carcinogenesis by Bisphenol A. The 9th Dubai International Conference for Medical Sciences. Dubai, UAE. 14-16 December 2016.