Before joining the American University of Ras Al-Khaima, in 2021, Dr. Mohamad was working at several international universities:
In 2011 Dr. Mohamad has obtained his doctoral degree from Luleå University of Technology in Sweden, in the field of reducing energy consumption through improving existing energy systems and utilization of local renewable energy resources.
2012-2014, Dr. Kharseh work as a postdoctoral at McGill University in Canada. His work was focusing on investigating the potential of utilizing low-temperature resources for electricity generation.
2014-2016, Dr. Mohamad joined Qatar University as a researcher to study the economic visibility of synergy between geothermal energy and the air conditioning systems.
2016-2020, Dr. Mohamad was working as a senior researcher at the Chalmers University of Technology in Sweden. Dr. Mohamad was leading a work-package in DREEAM project, a project funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020. Within the framework of the DREEAM project, Dr. Mohamad on developing computational tool explore optimal energetic renovation strategies for existing building portfolio, which take into consideration also the cost-efficiency of any intervention.
Dr. Mohamad’s research work resulted in several publications in peer-reviewed journals, conferences, books, and patent.
Besides research, Dr. Mohamad has been teaching many courses, including solar energy; heat transfer; thermodynamics; modeling and optimization of the energy system; hydraulic. Additionally, supervised a high number of master thesis.
Dr. Mohamad received a Ph.D. in renewable energy from Lulea University of Technology, Sweden, in 2011. He also received his BSc degrees in Mechanical Engineering/Power from Al-Baath University, Syria, in 2002.
Dr. Mohamad has a wide experience in the energy consumption systems in the building and optimizing renewable energy projects to reducing the greenhouse emissions from the buildings. Dr. Mohamad’s research work focuses mainly on reducing energy consumption in buildings using three approaches:
- Optimize the thermal performance of the building envelope (i.e., adding insulation to the external shell or improve the quality of the windows.
- Improve the performance of the heating/cooling system (e.g., implement a ground source heat pump system).
- Optimize the design of renewable energy systems such as solar and geothermal.
List of Publications
a. International Refereed Journals
- Kharseh M., Wallbaum H., The Economic Feasibility of a Photovoltaic System in a Cooling-Dominated Region: Comparing Different Technologies, Submitted to Renewable Energy.
- Kharseh, M., Al-Khawaja, M., Hassani, F., Optimal utilization of geothermal heat from abandoned oil wells for power generation, Applied Therml Engineering, 153:536-542, 2019.
- Kharseh M., Wallbaum H. , How Adding a Battery to Grid-Connected Photovoltaic System Can Increases its Economic Performance: Compare Different Scenarios. Energies, 2018
- Kharseh M., Utilize Freezing Water to Generate Energy. Applied Science, 2018
- Altorkmany, L., Kharseh, M., Ljung, A.-L., Staffan Lundström, Effect of working parameters of the plate heat exchanger on the thermal performance of the anti-bact heat exchanger system to disinfect Legionella hot water systems. Applied Thermal Engineering, 435-443, 2018.
- Altorkmany, L., Kharseh, M., Ljung, A.-L., Staffan Lundström, T., Experimental and simulation validation of ABHE for disinfection of Legionella in hot water systems, Applied Thermal Engineering, 253-265, 2017
- Kharseh M., Wallbaum H. The Effect of Different Working Parameters on the Optimal Size of a Battery for Grid-Connected PV Systems. Energy Procedia, 595-600, 2017
- Kharseh M., Al-Khawaja M., Retrofitting Measures for Reducing Buildings Cooling Requirements in Hot Climate, Applied Thermal Energy, 352-356, 2016.
- Kharseh M., Al-Khawaja M., Hassani F., Utilization of Oil Wells for Electricity Generation: Performance and Economics, Energy, 910-916, 2015.
- Kharseh M., Al-Khawaja M., Optimizing Geothermal Energy Resource, Journal of Mechanics Engineering and Automation, 667-975, 2015.
- Kharseh M., Al Khawaja M., Suleiman M.T., Potential of ground source heat pump systems in cooling-dominated environments: Residential buildings, Geothermics, 104-110, 2015.
- Kharseh M., Altorkmany L., Al-Khawaja M., Hassani F., Analysis of the effect of global climate change on ground source heat pump systems in different climate categories, Renewable Energy, 219-225, 2015.
- Kharseh M., Al-Khawaja M., Hassani F., Comparison between different measures to reduce cooling requirements of residential building in cooling-dominated environment, Energy and Buildings, 409-412, 2015.
- Kharseh M., Al-Khawaja M., The Icy Rider: A Vehicle Driven By Freezing Water, International Journal of Advanced Research in Engineering and Technology, 6, 115-120, 2015.
- Kharseh M., Altorkmany L., Al-Khawaja M., Hassani F., Warming impact on energy use of HVAC system in buildings of different thermal qualities and in different climates, Energy Conversion and Management, 106-111, 2014.
- Kharseh M., Altorkmany L., How global warming and building envelope will change buildings energy use in central Europe, Applied Energy, 999-1004, 2012.
- Kharseh M., Altorkmany L., Nordell B., Global warming’s impact on the performance of GSHP, Renewable Energy, ENGLAND, 1485-1491, 2011.
- Kharseh M., Nordell B., Sustainable Heating And Cooling Systems For Agriculture, International Journal of Energy Research, 415-422; 415, 2011.
b. Conference Papers
- Kharseh, M., El koujok, M., Wallbaum,H., Estimating the Ground Temperature Around Energy Piles Using Artificial Neural Networks. FTC 2019, San Francisco, United States, 2019
- Kharseh, M., Nägeli, C., Wallbaum, H., Identify Optimal Renovation Packages for Residential Buildings: A State-of-the-Art Computational Model. SBE19 HelsinkiSustainable Built Environment Conference, Finland 2019.
- Kharseh M., Wallbaum H. The Effect of Different Working Parameters on the Optimal Size of a Battery for Grid-Connected PV Systems. CISBAT 2017, Switzerland, 2017
- Kharseh M., Ostermeyer Y., Nägeli C., Kurkowska I., Wallbaum H. Humid Wall: Causes and Solutions. World Sustainable Built Environment Conference, Hong Kong, 2017.
- Kharseh M., Wallbaum H., Nägeli C., Ostermeyer Y. Feasibility of Solar Energy in South Sweden: Artificial Neural Network Modeling. 16th International Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference SGEM 2016, Vienna, Austria, 2016
- Kharseh M., Al-Khawaja M., Determination of The Optimal Working Condition of Geothermal Energy Resource. The 13th International Symposium on Fluid Control, Measurement and Visualization FLUCOME2015, Qatar 2015
- Kharseh M., Al-Khawaja M., Ground Response to Global Warming. Global conference on global warming 2015 (GCGW -15), Greece, May 24-27, 2015.
- Altorkmany L., Kharseh M., New Energy Efficient and Environmental Friendly Technology for Eradication of Bactria in Hot Water Distribution Systems, Third International Conference on Water, Energy and Environment (ICWEE), United Arab Emirates, 10, 2015.
- Kharseh M., Al-Khawaja M., Ghani S., Solar Energy for more eco-friendly Mosque in Qatar, Qatar Foundation Annual Research Conference ARC’14, Qatar, 606, 2014.
- Kharseh M., Al-Khawaja M., Computational Simulation of Organic Rankine Cycle Retrofitted to Petroleum Well, Qatar Foundation Annual Research Conference ARC’14, Qatar, 640, 2014.
- Kharseh M., Al Khawaja M., Hassani F., Three Measures to Reducing Energy Consumption of Space Conditioning Systems in Hot Climate, First International Conference on Energy and Indoor Environment for Hot Climates, Qatar, 7, 2014.
- Kharseh M., Hassani F., Alkhawaja M., Potential of Solar Powered Air Conditioner in Arabian Peninsula, 7th Annual Conference: The Future of New and Renewable Energy in Arab World, Egypt, 11, 2013.
- Kharseh M., Economic viability of exploiting oil wells for electricity generation in Qatar: Performance and parametric investigation, Qatar Foundation Annual Research Conference ARC’13, Qatar, 64, 2013.
- Kharseh M., Hassani F., Al-Khawaja M., Potential of geothermal energy for electricity generation in Qatar, ISARC 2013, 30th International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction and Mining, Held in Conjunction with the 23rd World Mining Congress, Canada, 1350-1358, 2013.
- Kharseh M., Hassani F., Al Khawaja M., The possibility of lowering Buildings Energy Consumptions in Qatar, Qatar Foundation Annual Research Forum and Arab Expatriate Scientists Network, Qatar, 38, 2012.
- Kharseh M., Altorkmany L., Hassani F., Al Khawaja M., Ghomshei A., Effect Of Global Warming And Buildings Envelope On The Driving Energy Of Ground Source Heat Pump Systems, 11th International Conference on Sustainable Energy Technologies (SET-2012), Canada, 12, 2012.
- Kharseh M., Hassani F., Al-Khawaja M., Ground Source Heat Pump and Energy Saving in Hot Climate, International Conference on Sustainable Energy & Environmental Protection, Ireland, 6, 2012.
- Kharseh M., Altorkmany L., How Thermal Quality of Buildings and Global Warming Affect Ground Source Heat Pumps System in Vienna, International Conference on Applied Energy, Italy, 13, 2011.
- Kharseh M., Nordell B., First thermal response test in Syria, Effstock 2009: 11th International Conference on Thermal Energy Storage for Energy Efficiency and Sustainability, Sweden, 8, 2009.
- Kharseh M., Altorkmany L., Nordell B., The Effect of Global Warming on BTES Systems, Effstock 2009: 11th International Conference on Thermal Energy Storage for Energy Efficiency and Sustainability, Sweden, 8, 2009.
- Kharseh M., Nordell B., Sustainable H/C Systems for Chicken Farms in Syria, Global Conference on Global Warming 2008, GCGW-08, Turkey, 569, 2008.
- Nordell B., Grein M., Kharseh M., Large-scale Utilization of Renewable Energy Requires Energy Storage, International Conference for Renewable Energies and Sustainable Development, Algeria, 6, 2007.
c. Books/Book Chapters
- Kharseh, M., Wallbaum, H., Comparing Different PV Module Types and Brands Under Working Conditions In United Kingdom. IntechOpen, United Kingdom, ISBN 978-1-78984-689-8
- Kharseh M., Al-Khawaja M., Ground response to global warming, Springer, Germany 2016, ISSN: 1865-3529, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-30127-
- Kharseh M., Altorkmany L., Al-Khawaja M., Hassani F., Combined Effect of Global Warming and Buildings Envelope on the Performance of Ground Source Heat Pump Systems, Springer, Germany, 299, 2014.
- Kharseh M., Ground-source heat pumps and energy saving, InTech, United Kingdom, 459, 2012.
- Kharseh M., Reduction of prime energy consumption by ground source heat pumps in a warmer world, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden, 148, 2011.
- Kharseh M., Reduction of Prime Energy Consumption in the Middle East by GSHP Systems, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden, 148, 2009.
d. Other Publications
- Kharseh, M., Optimize the economic viability of retrofitting measure synergy with PV system in Residential Buildings
- Kharseh, M., Simulate Grid-Connected PV system: Economic and Energy Simulation. Chalmers University of Technology, 2016.
- Kharseh, M., Artificial Neural Network to Simulate Solar System, Chalmers University of Technology, 2016.
- Kharseh, M., CFD-based Model to Simulate Thermal Interaction between Ground Heat Exchanger and its Surrounding, Qatar University, Qatar, 2015.
- Kharseh, M., Analyzing the Thermal Performance of Organic Rankin cycle (computer model), Qatar University, Qatar, 2012.
- Kharseh, M., Analyzing the Thermal Performance of Cooling Cycle, Qatar University, Qatar, 2012.
- Kharseh, M., Evaluation of Thermal Response Test Data: User-friendly Model (computer model), Luleå University of Technology, Sweden, 2011.
- Kharseh, M., Calculating the availability of solar energy and the performance of solar system (computer model), Luleå University of Technology, Sweden, 2009.
- Design of Thermal System
- Senior Design Project I
- Energy Economics
- Green Buildings
- Thesis I
- Thesis II