Dr. Uday Kumar holds his PhD in Energy Technology from KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden 2016 (Expected), M.Tech. from Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, and B.Tech. from Andhra University, India in 2007 and 2005 respectively, both in Chemical Engineering. After completion of his Masters, Dr. Uday joined RAK Research and Innovation center (previously CSEM-uae) and work on various scientific research projects in chemical, environmental based engineering processes especially related to water purification. In 2011, Dr. Uday started his industrial PhD research project on ‘Sustainable co/poly generation technologies by integrating membrane distillation process with renewable energy systems’ which is a collaborative project between joined KTH, Scarab and RAKRIC. Dr. Uday addressed the water and nexus by efficient integration of pilot scale membrane distillation modules with solar thermal energy for production of heat, cooling and pure water simultaneously.
Dr. Uday also had practical experience in design and operation of industrial plants as well as development of bench, pilot scale research units for application testing. Besides, he developed a water quality testing laboratory and possess through knowledge on water quality assessment and treatment chemicals used in the desalination industry.
As a Senior Research Engineer at RAKRIC (2010-2015), Dr. Uday has proposed various research projects guided several Maters and Bachelors students through deliverance of seminars and practical training.
- PhD, Energy Technology, (Solar Membrane Desalination), Division of Heat and Power Technology, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden, 2017.
- M.Tech., Chemical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, India, 2007.
- B.Tech., Chemical Engineering, Andhra University College of Eng., India, 2005.
- Desalination using renewable energy
- Water and Wastewater Purification technologies
- Advanced membrane separation processes
- Co/Poly-generation systems
- Solar reflective paints/ coatings and green buildings
- 2669.T Uday Kumar and M. Andrew. “Co-generation of Drinking Water and Domestic Hot Water Using Solar Thermal Integrated Membrane Distillation System”. Energy Procedia, Volume 61, 2014 Pages 2666–2669.
- 2670.T Uday Kumar, M. Gowtham, and M. Andrew. Performance analysis of solar cogeneration system with different integration strategies for potable water and domestic hot water production. Applied Energy 170 (2016) 466–475.
- 2671.T Uday Kumar and M. Andrew. Simulation and Economic Analysis of Solar Thermal Cogeneration System for Production of Heat and Pure Water using Membrane Distillation. International Journal of Thermal and Environmental Engineering, Vol.11, Iss. 1, 2016. DOI: 10.5383/ijtee.11.01.005
- 2672.T Uday Kumar and M. Andrew. Experimental Characterization and factorial design modeling of an Air-gap membrane Distillation system. Manuscript under review, Desalination and Water treatment Journal.
- 2673.T Uday Kumar and M. Andrew. “Co-generation Performance Evaluation of a Novel Solar Combi system for simultaneous Pure Water and Hot Water supply in Urban Households”. Manuscript under review, Energies Journal.
- 2674.Asim, N. T Uday Kumar and M. Andrew. “Feasibility Analysis of Installation of Solar Combi system for simultaneous production of pure drinking water through membrane distillation desalination technique and solar domestic hot water for single family villa: A pilot plant setup in UAE”. Desalination and Water Treatment Vol. 57, Iss. 46, 2016
- 2675.Gowtham, N. T Uday Kumar, P. K Manoj and M. Andrew. “A novel solar thermal polygeneration system for sustainable production of cooling, clean water and domestic hot water in United Arab Emirates: Dynamic simulation and economic evaluation”. Applied Energy 167 (2016) 173–188
- 2676.Gowtham, N. T Uday Kumar, P. K Manoj and M. Andrew. “Experimental investigation of a novel solar thermal polygeneration plant in UAE”. Renewable Energy 91 (2016) 361–373
- 2677.Gowtham, D. Sujatha, N. T Uday Kumar, P. K Manoj, M. Andrew and H. Kayal. “Development of Natural Gas Fired Combined Cycle Plant for Tri-Generation of Power, Cooling and Clean Water Using Waste Heat Recovery: Techno-economic analysis”. Energies 2014;7(10):6358-81.
- T Uday Kumar, H. Kayal and M. Andrew. “Sustainable Co production of Drinking Water and Domestic Hot Water using Membrane Distillation Integrated Solar Thermal System”. Swiss-UAE Research Forum, November 11-12, 2009, Dubai, UAE.
- T Uday Kumar and M. Andrew. “Experimental Analysis of Solar Thermal Integrated Membrane Distillation System for Co-generation of Drinking Water and Domestic Hot Water”. EDS Conference on Desalination for Environment: Clean Water and Energy, May 11-14, 2014, Limmasol, Cyprus.
- T Uday Kumar and M. Andrew. “Co-generation of Drinking Water and Domestic Hot Water Using Solar Thermal Integrated Membrane Distillation System”. The 6th International Conference on Applied Energy, ICAE, May 30 -June 2, 2014, Taipei, Taiwan.
- T Uday Kumar, M. Gowtham, R. K Gaurav and M. Andrew. “Design and Development of Solar Driven Tri-generation System in UAE”. International Conference on Solar Energy and Buildings, EuroSun, September 16-19, 2014, Aix-Les-Bains, France.
- Gowtham, N. T Uday Kumar, P. K Manoj and M. Andrew. “Solar thermal poly-generation system for production of cooling, fresh water and domestic hot water supply: Experimental analysis”. 13th World Renewable Energy Congress and Exhibition, WREC, August 3-8, 2014, London, UK.
- Principles of Chemical Engineering
- Fundamentals of Biochemical Engineering
- Senior Design Project I